Delete catalytic converters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mota32gd

Reaction score
So in the county I live we are not required to get emission stickers. This being the case I'm considering eliminating the cats on my 2004 5.4 Eddie Bauer Expedition. Are there any o2 sensors any other drawbacks by doing this? I have been getting code 0171 system too lean bank one.

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
They just canceled smog checks in my county a few months ago and I have a bad cat so I was wanting to do the same thing. Commenting so I can follow this post

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So in the county I live we are not required to get emission stickers. This being the case I'm considering eliminating the cats on my 2004 5.4 Eddie Bauer Expedition. Are there any o2 sensors any other drawbacks by doing this? I have been getting code 0171 system too lean bank one.

Why not just fix the vacuum leak on the passenger side of the motor ?
Do you have the ability to use a mechanics smoke tester to blow smoke through the intake system?
That or a close inspection of all vacuum tubing and hoses and replace any that are allow unmetered air in.
The Cats are not the problem. Find the vacuum leak.

Matt-man

Reaction score

Bought my 03 5.4 with clogged cats. Being I live in Florida, I just cut them out and replaced with pipe. Runs great, but does throw a CEL. Also, it has a nice idle tone now, but "claps" and sounds horrible when on the throttle at low RPM's. Will be fixing that ASAP.