Dents, dents and more dents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone else have the problem with their doors getting dents from people next to you opening their car door on your expedition?

Looking to see if anyone can recommend a body side moldings that will take the impact instead of the panels.

I have a 2020 expedition max platinum and the problem is that when the running boards are up the spots that gets hit the most is the bend in the panel from the factory.

There is absolutely no protection from the factory against people opening their doors and denting our panels.

OP
OP

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
I also park far away, problem is I work out of town away from home for a month at a time and my wife has 3 small kids one being a newborn. It irritates me when she parks around other people, but I know I can't expect her to walk alone all the way from the back of the lot.

Was hoping there is some kind of molding I can add on that looks good that would be the sacrificial part instead of the alluminum door panels.

Probably going to cost 300-400 to have paintless dent removal. Would like to avoid this in the future.

Hoping someone has added moldings that are functional that look nice

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All I’ve seen is those temporary magnetic ones you slap on the doors, but they aren’t intended to be on all the time. Plus, aluminum isn’t magnetic.

I suppose there has to be a part out there you can prime and paint, then affix with the same adhesive used on the badges/emblems.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on parking away from everyone else. I actually put the running boards out if I have to park where everyone is packed in tight... I also have 4 kids, my wife and myself that will, most certainly, have the wind take the door out of our hands. It's already happened to us in my driveway where there is nothing to hit. We usually take the minivan to parking lots (those sliding doors are gold for this). At some point, the minivan will go for something probably nicer/newer than the Expy and it'll be relegated to grocery store duty... I live in SE PA, but, everywhere I've ever been in the world/lived I see people that open doors into other cars. "This is why we can't have nice things" or anything else I have to tell myself, like how "cute" it was when I came home and saw two sunscreen hand prints on the door of the minivan when it was less than a year old! [emoji23] that was 2013, they are still there...
Human nature/********, but, use will result in some dings... You can make peace with it or install some tacky looking shit to absorb the hits!
I do have a chip on my hood (down to primer) from driving it home from new on the PA turnpike... Just keep rollin'! Show us the photos of some sweet ding guards when you find them...

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i wired a couple of claymores to the fenders, making sure the "Front Toward Enemy" wording is visible. I highlighted the lettering with my daughter's silver day-glo rave nail polish.

seriously, twice last year people approached me as I was leaving my truck and accused me, in a PA way, of hitting them so hard the car shook. I whipped out my phone and took pictures, then advised them to call the cops.

I stumbled through this the first time, as I was just confused by obvious ******** - if I'd made someone's car rock i would have noticed. She kept pressing until it dawned on me what was happening. That's when the phone came out and I started taking pictures, beginning with her and her license plate.

I was a lot quicker on the second one ; the look on her face when my first response was to whip out the phone was priceless.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also will park at the far end of a lot, all by myself. Half the time I’ll come out of a store and find one or more cars parked around me with no empty buffer spots.

This happened to me the first weekend I had mine. Came out to a nice ding in the rear driver side door. I see it every day. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk