Dial Shifter - Let Me Vent!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Herby

Reaction score
I am an "Old Guy" millions of miles under my belt, driving a tow truck for a living at age sixteen, street racing in the early 70's and one of my favorite sayings; "back when it was legal to drink and drive" (don't get upset it is just a joke, but true)
Whoever prompted Ford engineering to adopt the dial shifter should be fired! I is inherently wrong in every aspect of humanity.
As the proud owner of a 2024 Expedition Max I have to admit it didn't bother me initially, but it didn't take long for this unnatural cumbersome basic function of driving to start eating away at my soul.
The fact some person somewhere in the great country thought this shifter was a good ideal baffles my mind. I'm assuming it was copied from some modern European design or a video game.
I truly understand it is my unwillingness to change that has brought this rant to print, maybe there is some weekly evening meeting I can attend to help me with this problem although I'm pretty sure it will not help.
I do love the truck, but I will end with; If at any point Ford or the aftermarket ever develops a plug-and-play retrofit normal (Human style) shifter the way it was intended to be (Park-Forward, Drive-Back and Neutral somewhere in the middle) I will buy it at any cost!
Just so it is clear, this is not the way I normally talk. It was incredibly hard for me to write this post and not have it removed due to my normal use profanity.
Thanks for the venting session, I'm curious if there are others who feel the same way, please chime in.
This post had me laughing early this morning!! I too am an "Old Guy" and I agree with every word mentioned. Can't wait to read your next submission!! :rotflmao:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't own one, but apparently Tesla already removed the physical shifter from their new Model S and X,
While they're at it, they might as well remove the turn signal lever too, i hate to make stereotypes but most of the Tesla drivers around me use their turn signals less than the BMW/Mercedes owners.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can drive one. I'd rather not in Dallas traffic though. Nothing like having a bad day at work followed by over an hour of 3mph stop and go working a clutch.
I made a trip from Boston to Daytona in a 6 speed vette and wore a hole in the side of my sneaker on that trip. I never got to use cruise control until south of Richmond.

JayB66

Reaction score
I am an "Old Guy" millions of miles under my belt, driving a tow truck for a living at age sixteen, street racing in the early 70's and one of my favorite sayings; "back when it was legal to drink and drive" (don't get upset it is just a joke, but true)
Whoever prompted Ford engineering to adopt the dial shifter should be fired! I is inherently wrong in every aspect of humanity.
As the proud owner of a 2024 Expedition Max I have to admit it didn't bother me initially, but it didn't take long for this unnatural cumbersome basic function of driving to start eating away at my soul.
The fact some person somewhere in the great country thought this shifter was a good ideal baffles my mind. I'm assuming it was copied from some modern European design or a video game.
I truly understand it is my unwillingness to change that has brought this rant to print, maybe there is some weekly evening meeting I can attend to help me with this problem although I'm pretty sure it will not help.
I do love the truck, but I will end with; If at any point Ford or the aftermarket ever develops a plug-and-play retrofit normal (Human style) shifter the way it was intended to be (Park-Forward, Drive-Back and Neutral somewhere in the middle) I will buy it at any cost!
Just so it is clear, this is not the way I normally talk. It was incredibly hard for me to write this post and not have it removed due to my normal use profanity.
Thanks for the venting session, I'm curious if there are others who feel the same way, please chime in.
I can't afford new anyway, so I get to avoid this whole mess by buying old stuff that works the way I want it to. The dial shifter indicates another piece of electronics that might, at some point, fail. Usually at the most importune moment. Re. Murphy...

bryz_expy

Reaction score
Just had a newish F150 (2023) with a column shifter for a loaner. I was wondering if they still have it as mechanical or if it’s just a lever that tells the computer what position it is in.

I would think one of the experts on here @LokiWolf might have some Forscan knowledge and a company like Boosted Grey Goose might have a harness.

Put the F250 cup holders in, and you would have a pretty decent setup.

I’m wondering if the Police Expedition Interceptors are column shift.

Grizguy

Reaction score
Me too. Must be the same age.. My expy dial shift. Push buttons shifting into 4wd by accident mode switch. My 17 transit has shift knob in the center of the dash and my 06 f350 on the column where it belongs. All 3 have wiper controls in different places.

slideboy7

Reaction score
I would like a column shifter and bench seat in the front for 9 passengers. Tahoe and suburban do that in the base model. Expedition should have an option for that too.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While they're at it, they might as well remove the turn signal lever too, i hate to make stereotypes but most of the Tesla drivers around me use their turn signals less than the BMW/Mercedes owners.
LOL, at least they have a reason, that turn signal might mean the difference between making it to a charging station or not!

Dahammer

Reaction score
I too miss the shifter on the steering wheel column. However, being a senior the shifter knob is ok.
Can't play with the shifter knob tho like you could with the shifter on the column.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani