Differential Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harleyguy27

Reaction score
I changed my diff fluid yesterday and noticed today that it is not leaking anywhere around the cover with the new RED RTV sealant I put on it, but I did notice some moisture around the front of the diff where the drive shaft comes into the diff. Any ideas on what that might be? Did changing the diff fluid cause a seal up front to start leaking? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2002 Expedition 5.4 liter XLT with 135K.

wakeboarderNH

Reaction score
On my 99 I dont have to pull the front diff to change the fluid, it has a drain plug and a fill hole.

But as to the leak, it sounds like the input seal from the drive shaft into the diff. I've never done one on an expy, but on other vehicles its pretty easy. Pull the driveshaft out of the diff, get a seal puller, pull the old seal out, evenly put the new one in, put the driveshaft back on, good to go. I think even if you do it carefully you might not have to drain the oil out of it, but I'm not sure.

Note: This is how I believe it is done, I haven't done it on an expy yet, so I may be wrong. Hopefully someone else can chime in and tell me if I am right lol

Hope this helps