Distance Indication Feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey everyone.. Just so we are all clear, most posts i have made anywhere regarding this feature start getting confused, like this thread.

I've explained what I'm looking for in a couple different posts, but most people seem to be confusing this with the collision avoidance system. So Trying to compile everything I can find around this particular feature, despite the fact it doesn't seem to be enabled on my vehicle currently.

First, the three similar systems are:
  1. Adaptive Cruise Control
  2. Collision avoidance system
  3. Distance Alert System
Adaptive cruise I think everyone is familiar with, so wont go into great detail, expect the fact it uses front radar to sense distance, and display that following distance in the console. Adjustable with the steering wheel button.
View attachment 23432

Collision avoidance system is what most people above are talking about. This is where the vehicle will basically scream at you that you are about to hit something, flash the HUD red, and big warning in console. Hard to trigger, although the case of someone turning in front of you as you approach their rear end does seem to trigger (at least it did for me). The collision avoidance system also includes the pedestrian detection, and I've never had that successfully trigger.

the Distance Alert system is what i am wondering if anyone has seen working on their vehicles. It is a part of the collision avoidance system. It uses the same part of the console as adaptive cruise, but only works when cruise if OFF (it uses the same radar sensors).
if the following distance gap is 09 -.6 seconds, it displays yellow, and if following distance is < 0.6 seconds, it goes red, and also apparently will flash a few of the red pixels on the HUD (not the entire bar, just like three of em)
View attachment 23433
The menu option to turn this feature on and off is supposed to be under the Pre-Collision menu, but on my vehicle it isn't there.

I've identified the bit in the IPC module which should enable this menu, and on my vehicle, the bit is turned off, Have tried to change, but unfortunately, the 2018 Exped has a new IPC, and currently it cannot be written to by FORScan

here is a Car thread also talking about the feature (Ford Fusion)
http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573&pid=126174#pid126174

and here is the IPC address.
values 8-B have FCW + FDA enabled (Forward Collision Warning, Forward Distance Alert)

View attachment 23434

I did not get involved, but I think several members were not following what was truly being asked. This is a clear concise explanation of what is being asked.

AmpForE

Reaction score
hey everyone.. Just so we are all clear, most posts i have made anywhere regarding this feature start getting confused, like this thread.

I've explained what I'm looking for in a couple different posts, but most people seem to be confusing this with the collision avoidance system. So Trying to compile everything I can find around this particular feature, despite the fact it doesn't seem to be enabled on my vehicle currently.

First, the three similar systems are:
  1. Adaptive Cruise Control
  2. Collision avoidance system
  3. Distance Alert System
Adaptive cruise I think everyone is familiar with, so wont go into great detail, expect the fact it uses front radar to sense distance, and display that following distance in the console. Adjustable with the steering wheel button.
View attachment 23432

Collision avoidance system is what most people above are talking about. This is where the vehicle will basically scream at you that you are about to hit something, flash the HUD red, and big warning in console. Hard to trigger, although the case of someone turning in front of you as you approach their rear end does seem to trigger (at least it did for me). The collision avoidance system also includes the pedestrian detection, and I've never had that successfully trigger.

the Distance Alert system is what i am wondering if anyone has seen working on their vehicles. It is a part of the collision avoidance system. It uses the same part of the console as adaptive cruise, but only works when cruise if OFF (it uses the same radar sensors).
if the following distance gap is 09 -.6 seconds, it displays yellow, and if following distance is < 0.6 seconds, it goes red, and also apparently will flash a few of the red pixels on the HUD (not the entire bar, just like three of em)
View attachment 23433
The menu option to turn this feature on and off is supposed to be under the Pre-Collision menu, but on my vehicle it isn't there.

I've identified the bit in the IPC module which should enable this menu, and on my vehicle, the bit is turned off, Have tried to change, but unfortunately, the 2018 Exped has a new IPC, and currently it cannot be written to by FORScan

here is a Car thread also talking about the feature (Ford Fusion)
http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573&pid=126174#pid126174

and here is the IPC address.
values 8-B have FCW + FDA enabled (Forward Collision Warning, Forward Distance Alert)

View attachment 23434

Yes, it works in my 18 Mustang but I honestly don't know if it works with ACC on or off. Next time in the Mustang I will confirm.

Confirmed, it works only when ACC is off.

Last edited:

zarga

Reaction score
So are the 18s supposed to have the DAS? I thought they did, but I can't figure out how to activate it. Using the arrows on the steering wheel when not using ACC, as someone suggested, didn't work for me.

zarga

Reaction score
The DAS not working, the pedestrian detection and AEB are all disappointments. Add those to the POS DVD system and I'm really feeling like we made an $80k mistake. Sigh.

I'm clinging to the spacious 3rd row seating. Hooray for legroom.

AmpForE

Reaction score
So are the 18s supposed to have the DAS? I thought they did, but I can't figure out how to activate it. Using the arrows on the steering wheel when not using ACC, as someone suggested, didn't work for me.

Not sure about if 17's have it or not, but my 18 Mustang has it. It is not a feature you activate or adjust. If you have it, it is displayed in the dash where you adjust the distance for the ACC, and this may be why some are confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zarga

Reaction score
Not sure about if 17's have it or not, but my 18 Mustang has it. It is not a feature you activate or adjust. If you have it, it is displayed in the dash where you adjust the distance for the ACC, and this may be why some are confused.

Do you ever see the red/yellow indicators?

AmpForE

Reaction score
Do you ever see the red/yellow indicators?

Yes,

Get within 3 or 4 car lengths, it goes yellow. Any closer and it goes red.

The sensitivity cannot be changed and it is active when ACC is off.

zarga

Reaction score
Yes,

Get within 3 or 4 car lengths, it goes yellow. Any closer and it goes red.

The sensitivity cannot be changed and it is active when ACC is off.

Thanks. it sounds like another thing to have the dealer look at.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pre collision alert looks to work when the system detects a sudden change in conditions, such as being cut off or vehicle slamming on brakes. Mines cut on again due to the car in front of me throwing on brakes and makin a sudden turn(same as last time). It may be the same for pedestrian collision as well. Still havnt seen anything for distance indication

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahurry