Distance to empty keeps shrinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midnight451

Reaction score
D0C6C5D7-E594-482E-B894-8A518F5C6E57.jpegSince I’ve bought this in June of 20, the distance to empty keeps getting shorter. When I picked it up, and had to fill it up, it said 518mi to empty. Now it’s worse than ever.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening? Do I need to search out tier 1 gas or something?

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The computer adjusts that number based on your average fuel consumption.

For example when I have driven in town for a month with very little freeway I can see as low as 340 to e. However on a long road trip thats all freeway (getting better gas mileage) the next fillup will reflect the better mileage and I will see 450+

I assuming you have a max edition that has the bigger gas tank than my standard length expedition. (Max holds 28 gallons, standard 23)

Hope this helps... nothing is wrong with your vehicle

DJAucutt

Reaction score
My '18 Max (56k) does the same thing. Not only does the DTE drop, but the average fuel mileage drops as well. I get 26-27 on highway trips, but it has dropped to 13-14 when I have a long spell of short trips with nasty traffic. I believe it is just simple math.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. City vs highway (especially in regards to stop-and-go traffic)
2. Driving habits (gas mileage in these trucks is very sensitive to a heavy foot)
3. Winter-blend gas (started 9/15) provides worse fuel economy

Dworth

Reaction score
My '18 Max (56k) does the same thing. Not only does the DTE drop, but the average fuel mileage drops as well. I get 26-27 on highway trips, but it has dropped to 13-14 when I have a long spell of short trips with nasty traffic. I believe it is just simple math.
You need to hand calculate because no way you are getting 26-27.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is possible depending on config and speed.

cpcs07

Reaction score
If you've had a trailer on the back it will mess with the DTE estimate. I always reset the fuel economy after towing

OP
OP
Midnight451

Midnight451

Reaction score
I don’t have a max. I have been fairly heavy with the lead foot. I’ll reset the fuel economy & take it easy and hopefully it’ll make a difference. Thanks all!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well looks like you answered your question, heavy foot = heavy fuel consumption, lol.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Around here, the winter fuel blend gets worse mileage. I always lose several mpg once they start using the winter blend.

Short trips and stop and go around town kills mpg.