Does your Expy burn LOTS of oil??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question for the group. Just did another oil change (and plugs for the first time, love not having 16 plugs), and was again surprised by the oil that came out. This time, I let the vehicle sit overnight, allowed the oil plug to drain for about 30 minutes, pulled the filter and let that drain for a good 15-20 minutes (which it never really completely stops dripping). And I measured the total oil including about 1.25OZ of oil from the catch can, and only came to just an ounce or so over 5QT's. This thing calls for 6QT's, you guys all losing about a qt each oil change, that's so much more than probably my last few vehicles. The last one I can remember that burned this much was my Jeep 4L I6 with 175K miles on it that I beat up.

The last 6-9MOs I've been driving pretty light with fuel costs, no towing but some mountain driving. Also, I've noticed out of the tailpipe tons of black soot staining my garage floor and wall, at least to me it seems like a lot, no wonder! Just curious if this is pretty normal.

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 doesn't seem to burn any oil. I've had the oil changed every 3k-5k miles at the dealer using Motorcraft oil.

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2011 F150 Ecoboost with 214k miles. I don't measure the oil taken out during oil changes but have never seen it register having low oil levels between changes every 5k miles. Obviously the engine is sightly different (first gen) but I've not heard of these engines having significant oil consumption issues.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
certainly reassuring. 1QT seems like a lot to burn, and to be clear, I had no warnings or issues of oil levels. Just trying to measure what comes out.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know about the Eco, but Ford allows for an obscenely high amount for "normal" oil consumption for the 5.4L 3V (3+ qts every 5k last time I was in to the dealer). When I complained about 1-1.5 qts they told me how lucky I was. :x I literally check it every other day and the day after a long drive though. The level has never dropped off the stick since I have owned it.