Don't change my spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbaessler

Reaction score
I have a 99 expedition EB 5.4l. I love the truck bought new. I have about 97,000 on the truck. It is in pristine condition. I have not had the blown plug issue yet. But I'm getting paranoid after reading all of the threads. The engine runs great at this point. I do not hear any tapping noise so my plug are still seated. Should I just forget about getting them changed out? I would have the dealer do it. They would most likely under torques them as they would follow Fords recommendation at 13 lbs. I see a few threads that say d torques them to 28lbs. I have also seen threads that folks have tested the heads at 100lbs of torque with out stripping the threads. Don't know what to do??.
Mike

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If the MPG has not degraded and it is running fine ,as the old saying goes if it aint broke don't fix it

srs7324

Reaction score
I have a 99 Expedition XLT 5.4L with 175K.
I changed 6 plugs at 125K and had no issues.
At 173k I replaced all 8 with new platinum plugs, 8 new COPs and 8 new BOSCH injectors with no issues.
I have never used a torque wrench on my plugs, I seat them then tighten by feel.
I guess I have been lucky so far.

1999 Ford Expedition XLT
260 HP 5.4 L Windsor
265/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT
Clear Coated Aluminum rims w matching spare
K&N Drop-In Filter
GOTS intake modification
EB Fender Flares
HD OEM Towing Pkg
100W Xenon lamps/ 80W Xenon fogs / 65W Driving lights
175,000 Miles & Still Running Strong

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 Expedition XLT 5.4L with 175K.
I changed 6 plugs at 125K and had no issues.
At 173k I replaced all 8 with new platinum plugs, 8 new COPs and 8 new BOSCH injectors with no issues.
I have never used a torque wrench on my plugs, I seat them then tighten by feel.
I guess I have been lucky so far.

1999 Ford Expedition XLT
260 HP 5.4 L Windsor
265/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT
Clear Coated Aluminum rims w matching spare
K&N Drop-In Filter
GOTS intake modification
EB Fender Flares
HD OEM Towing Pkg
100W Xenon lamps/ 80W Xenon fogs / 65W Driving lights
175,000 Miles & Still Running Strong

I do the same but I know most people cant tell by feel when its to tight or to loose. I my field of work I see this all the time.