Door alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
one thing the new design amplifies is misaligned doors, thanks to the chrome strip that runs below the windows. Over the past 10k Miles, my drivers side rear door has become “out of whack”. Is there a way to realign the doors?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Damn, it's a new car. What's the dealer say? Usually you can replace the bushings on the hinges when they wear, but usually not until the car's fifteen years old... Did something get caught by the wind or bend or something?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
one thing the new design amplifies is misaligned doors, thanks to the chrome strip that runs below the windows. Over the past 10k Miles, my drivers side rear door has become “out of whack”. Is there a way to realign the doors?

The dealer can tweak it for you. This has been brought up on here before (although I can’t find it) but I think the dealer was able to (almost completely) address it.

DD777

Reaction score
Interesting timing. We have a Max with less that 1500 miles on it and that is really the only thing I am not thrilled about. The dealer we purchased from acquired it in a dealer trade and they are not too happy either as they said the other dealer should have fixed the door issues before the trade etc. My drivers door and driver side passenger are both out of alignment in different ways but they say it is an easy fix and I will have it done after the holidays. We shall see...

BigBlock55

Reaction score
Door alignment seems pretty common on the new Expeditions but unfortunately, it's not unique to that model. I have a 17 Cadillac CT6 and a 16 F-150 and I've aligned the doors on both of them as well as my 18 Expedition Limited. I've been doing it for so long I almost look forward to doing it when I get a new car. This is something I'm a real stickler for and I've noticed that it's pretty common on a lot of different makes and models. I've seen Tesla's, Mercedes, Porsche's, etc., with misaligned doors. The moldings and character lines late model cars seem to draw more attention to it than on previous models. Fortunately, it's generally something that can be easily corrected.

DD777

Reaction score
Door alignment seems pretty common on the new Expeditions but unfortunately, it's not unique to that model. I have a 17 Cadillac CT6 and a 16 F-150 and I've aligned the doors on both of them as well as my 18 Expedition Limited. I've been doing it for so long I almost look forward to doing it when I get a new car. This is something I'm a real stickler for and I've noticed that it's pretty common on a lot of different makes and models. I've seen Tesla's, Mercedes, Porsche's, etc., with misaligned doors. The moldings and character lines late model cars seem to draw more attention to it than on previous models. Fortunately, it's generally something that can be easily corrected.

Interesting and thanks for the details. My dealer had offered to take care of it and said they were very sorry and I plan on taking it to them over the next week or so. That being said, what equipment etc is needed to do on your own as you described?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd also be interested in what is required for a DIY job to avoid a trip to the dealer. My right rear passenger door doesn't align well with the rear fender. The fender sticks out further than the door. I tried to adjust the door strike, but the holes in the strike have conical seats and don't allow adjustability. The latch mechanism in the door also doesn't have much movement after loosing the bolts and trying to adjust it. See attached photos

IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0960.JPG

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd also be interested in what is required for a DIY job to avoid a trip to the dealer. My right rear passenger door doesn't align well with the rear fender. The fender sticks out further than the door. I tried to adjust the door strike, but the holes in the strike have conical seats and don't allow adjustability. The latch mechanism in the door also doesn't have much movement after loosing the bolts and trying to adjust it. See attached photos
The back plates on the striker will glue themselves to the paint. After you loosen the bolts and back them out about 1/8 of an inch, give them a rap with a plastic mallet. That will usually break the back plate loose and allow them to adjust.