Door latch frozen...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the same problem twice in the last week or two on my Expedition. Happened all the time (when it was freezing) with my old '88 Daytona. Spray the latch down with lube and would work the door against the striker back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, slowly letting the lube get wherever it needed to go. Would usually start working after a couple minutes. Have to do it once, maybe twice a winter.

I get to work the other day and go to shut the door on the Expedition, and it just bounced back, LOL. Great. Pulled it up outside our back door and let it run with the front and rear heaters on full blast. After about 10 or 15 minutes, it'd warmed up enough to work correctly. Was fine for 3 or 4 days. Left work, stopped at the credit union. Door sounded funny when it shut. Came back out and yep, wouldn't shut. Drove to the bank holding the door and sat in the parking lot filling out deposit slip. Started working correctly about the time I headed for the drive-through.

Thanks for the input! Mine seems to be ok now after the WD and I agree letting warm up always helps mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

igozumn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A new latch from Ford is only $68 msrp. If I find myself opening up the door panel again any time soon, I'll probably just go ahead and replace it.

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same problem here. Had both front door latches freeze and had to rig up the seatbelts to keep them from flying open.

Via an old thread on here I asked advise. Most said a heavier silicone grease inside the latch and around the pin would help. Also a silicone spray (similar to WD-40) would work well and last longer than the lighter type (WD) lubricants.

The silicone spray also worked well in my window channels.

No problems since applying the heavier grease inside the door latch, it's -22 degrees with the windchill today and no problems at all.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same problem here. Had both front door latches freeze and had to rig up the seatbelts to keep them from flying open.

Via an old thread on here I asked advise. Most said a heavier silicone grease inside the latch and around the pin would help. Also a silicone spray (similar to WD-40) would work well and last longer than the lighter type (WD) lubricants.

The silicone spray also worked well in my window channels.

No problems since applying the heavier grease inside the door latch, it's -22 degrees with the windchill today and no problems at all.

Thanks.

Quick question... Might be obvious as I haven't really looked for it yet but where can I get a good strong silicone grease for my window tracks and the door latch?

Also not to hijack my own thread but where do you spray the grease on the Windows? Thanks

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question... Might be obvious as I haven't really looked for it yet but where can I get a good strong silicone grease for my window tracks and the door latch?

Also not to hijack my own thread but where do you spray the grease on the Windows? Thanks

Auto parts store should have this.

Ford sells a lube specifically for window tracks.

I believe on the very ends so it lubricates the actually window tracks at the front and back of the window. I have not done this method but have lubricated the track from inside the door panel on other vehicles with the Ford lube. It did make a noticeable difference on both.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Auto parts store should have this.

Ford sells a lube specifically for window tracks.

I believe on the very ends so it lubricates the actually window tracks at the front and back of the window. I have not done this method but have lubricated the track from inside the door panel on other vehicles with the Ford lube. It did make a noticeable difference on both.

Thanks I'll hit auto zone in the next few days

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me it is called "silicone lubricant" comes in a pressurized bottle with a little tiny nozzle attachment. Got it at Canadian Tire. Autozone or NAPA or something would have it for sure.

There are numerous videos on youtube on how to lubricate / freezing windows and doors. That's how I got the actual where and how information. Watch a couple and see how and where they spray them. Just inside all the window channels basically. Also recommend you do the rubber seal of the door.

Mine has been perfect since and we've had several days well below the freezing point. Good luck!