Door Lock sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

98 Eddie Bauer - the door open light stays on, sometimes for 5 minutes. (the Driver side door stays unlocked, and all interior lights are on, etc.) Then mysteriously it goes off. This also happens when I leave the car, but not as often. (This happens to my '97 Ford Taurus as well)

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Skibum,

Sorry, I can't quite make out the problem......but there is a timer circuit on the truck that can be changed to allow the lights to stay on for awhile after leaving the truck (Auto Dimmer its called I think, one of the adjustable thumbwheels on the headlight switch panel). It also keeps the headlights on for a while after leaving the truck.

Is this what you may be talking about? If so, it can be turned off buy turning the thumbwheel all the way in one direction.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spray down all the door latches with WD-40. The light switch is intergrated into the latch mechanism. It sticks sometimes, leaving the lights on.

OP
OP
G

By the way did you ever figure out how to fix your problem with your lights statying on and the door adjar as well?
I have the same problem with my 98 Expedition with the driver side door...Please let me know what you did to fix this problem.

OP
OP
G

Interior lights and door ajar

I am experiencing thissame problem. Will the WD-40 fix it?

malcoll

Reaction score
I too have this problem.. but it is intermittent.... I just tried the WD-40 spray down.... it seems to have done the trick but we will have to wait and see.

OP
OP
G

Mine was doin gthe same thing and then my battery went dead, and replaced it and now no more door ajar problem for me so be carefully.

MitchPeters

Reaction score
It is a common Ford problem. The WD-40 trick should work. Try it a couple of times and if it does not work the switch may need replaced.