Door won't unlock so can't open to fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slammo

Reaction score
03 Expedition. Last month the rod clip broke on the passenger rear exterior handle. I replaced it and everything was fine, but now today, the door won't unlock. The power switch works, but the knob does not appear to go all the way up and when I pull the interior handle to open the door, it sucks the knob back down and the door stays locked. I have no idea what I may have messed up when I had the door taken apart last month and no idea how to go about fixing it since the door won't open to remove the panel. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

jdschrock

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue with the same door. Replaced the door lock actuator. The door worked fine, and now all of a sudden the knob goes back down when I try to open the door. Have you found a solution to getting the door open?

OP
OP
S

Slammo

Reaction score
Nope, and a couple of weeks after my post, the engine blew out so I haven't kept looking. Pretty much decided if I ever get around to trying to fix it I'm going to have to cut through the door panel and rip it off and find a replacement at a junk yard.

Bobmc

Reaction score
Have you tried disabling the auto-locking mechanism by pulling the fuse?

OP
OP
S

Slammo

Reaction score
@Bobmc Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. Feels like something is physically blocking the knob from raising all the way up. I figure I must have screwed something up putting the door handle back together when I replaced the clip.

Bobmc

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of to try, would be to get a firm grip on the knob with a pair of vice grips and pull up (by hand, screwdriver or small pry bar) while working the handle to see if something is just snagged.