Unlock door, pull to lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squatch98

Reaction score
So tonight I go to get in my expedition. Unlock my doors with the key fob, all unlock fine. My wife opens the passenger side just fine. I go to open the driver's door but as soon as I pull the EXTERIOR handle, the driver door locks and I can't open the door. I tried the sec-pad, same thing. The only way the drivers door will open is if I pull the INTERIOR handle. Wondering if anyone else had this problem and if and how they fixed it.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that's an interesting issue. All I can think of is to pull the interior door panel off and look at what's happening when you pull the handle. The door panel comes off super easy on these. Pry the panel around the inside handle from the back and pull the handle open to slide it off. Now pop up the panel with the window/lock switches and disconnect them. For the door panel itself, there's a philips screw in the rear, another on the sail at the top front, gently pry the cover off behind the handle for closing to find 2 torx screws, then 2 7mm screws on the bottom now lift the panel up and off. Gently and slowly pull the foam vapor barrier off so as not to tear it, a hair dryer or heat gun can help to release the adhesive if needed, but it takes a bit of time to get it to release without tearing.