Downsizing from 22" wheels... 20" or 18" w/ CCD suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since being stuck at home, I have been looking at wheel options.

Looking at 20" wheels, but was wondering if I should consider the additional sidewall the 18" wheels. However, are 18" wheels ok with the CCD suspension and brake calipers?

I don't do any hardcore off-roading. I mostly stay on sandy roads or mountainous fire roads. My three tire sizes options are listed below.

Stock: 285/45 R22
- Diameter: 32.1"
- Sidewall: 5"

Option #1: 33x11.5 R20
- Diameter: 33"
- Sidewall: 6.5"

Option #3: 33x11.5 R18
- Sidewall: 7.5"

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since being stuck at home, I have been looking at wheel options.

Looking at 20" wheels, but was wondering if I should consider the additional sidewall the 18" wheels. However, are 18" wheels ok with the CCD suspension and brake calipers?

I don't do any hardcore off-roading. I mostly stay on sandy roads or mountainous fire roads. My three tire sizes options are listed below.

Stock: 285/45 R22
- Diameter: 32.1"
- Sidewall: 5"

Option #1: 33x11.5 R20
- Sidewall: 6.5"

Option #3: 33x11.5 R18
- Sidewall: 7.5"
Pretty sure the CCD was exclusively designed for 22” wheels. May wanna stick with that option unless your going to convert to normal shocks and springs. Go to customwheeloffset.com and view their gallery of Expeditions. My opinion, 22s for pavement princesses and 18-20s for heavy to light off-roading.

Randy_270

Reaction score
A guy in my town has stock F-150 18s on his platinum with CCD suspension. I also went to 18s on my Limited with standard suspension. I prefer the softer ride of more sidewalk and I think they look better too.

OP
OP
Lou Hamilton

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure the CCD was exclusively designed for 22” wheels. May wanna stick with that option unless your going to convert to normal shocks and springs. Go to customwheeloffset.com and view their gallery of Expeditions. My opinion, 22s for pavement princesses and 18-20s for heavy to light off-roading.

I looked there and saw one Platinum with 20's but all other 2018+ were either non-CCD or had 22+" wheels.

I'm confident with 20's, just was not sure about 18's. I've seen the ones that I am interested reviewed on YouTube and they were either 16 or 18", so the 20's would look just as good and not squished or wonky with hole patterns too small.

Again, this is just window shopping now. Not looking to drop and significant cash (~$2800) until this pandemic is over and jobs are 100% secure. I'm technically not essential, but since I support Gov workers, I am ok for now.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running 20's with CCD suspension and am pleased with the improved softness in the ride. 18"s will clear the calipers with no issues (FX4 runs 18's as stock). A guy on the forum is even running 17" wheels from an F150 with snow tires and they still clear the calipers.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The CCD’s are not an F1 take off component. They are pretty simple. Changing wheel and tire set ups change the weight and rotating mass. I have the CCD’s, ready lift and 35x12.50x20’s and the only noticeable difference I can tell in the ride is the heavier ply tires and road noise due to the more aggressive tread. Overall suspension performance seems the same. No codes or check engine lights and all the drive modes still act the same. If I could do it again I would go 18”s. I am looking for a more off road look and you can still curb 20’s on 35’s pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lou Hamilton

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The CCD’s are not an F1 take off component. They are pretty simple. Changing wheel and tire set ups change the weight and rotating mass. I have the CCD’s, ready lift and 35x12.50x20’s and the only noticeable difference I can tell in the ride is the heavier ply tires and road noise due to the more aggressive tread. Overall suspension performance seems the same. No codes or check engine lights and all the drive modes still act the same. If I could do it again I would go 18”s. I am looking for a more off road look and you can still curb 20’s on 35’s pretty easy.

I'm not looking at removing or modifying the CCD suspension. I am simply asking about clearance without having to do anything. You said you would do 18's if you had to do it again. Does that mean that the 18's clear the suspension and brake calipers without issue?

The wheels that I am looking at are either +10 or +12 mm offsets but I am keeping the same relative width (11.2 vs. 11.5), so they will be sticking out some but not going internally much at all.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to do 18s as long they have the same measurements as the stock 18inchers from the xlts. None of the driveline or brake components change with the ccd. Check the wheel measurements on the xlt wheels and cross reference them with the wheels your interested in.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Limited trim rentals I've had come with 20" wheels and ccd. I've had three so far, one 2020 had 7 miles on it!

There is a little bit of a ride softness difference with the extra sidewall on the 20" tires. Haven't driven one with 18s yet, but, I'd imagine it'd be even softer.

Should be fine whatever route you choose! [emoji106]

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It will be tight. I think it depends on how the wheel is constructed. I don’t see any of the CCD equipment being an issue. It’s the caliper and lower ball joint bolt. Here is a picture of my 20”s. I have roughly 1.5” of clearance from both.
bf1662c07c47c4c31edc78b57208111b.jpg
f89c2dace5f58ee704aec5e98196c780.jpg