Driving with failed air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sflight

Reaction score
Air suspension failed. Back of expedition is now a low rider. Have to wait about two weeks before I get the strutmasters conversion kit due to funding. Will I damage anything driving with the air suspension failed. Thanks or any advice.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the system hold air? Could be that a replacement air ride relay could fire the compressor and raise the rear for you. May be a solution to buy time until your conversion and probably safer than bouncing the rear until then.

Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products RY319 Relay: Automotive

I had this happen to my '01 last month. The replacement relay has my air ride operating normally. For me, if it lasts until warmer weather I will be happy. If something this simple fixed the problem, even better.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you would damage anything that you will need to keep for the conversion, at least not in the next couple of weeks. Double-check your lower control arms for rust holes in them, that would be my main concern since you live in MI. Other than that, just take her easy on speed bumps.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You probably wont but its just a bad idea to drive it on bump stops

you can get replacement bags for just under $200 a pair if that is all you need to replace. I know converting to strutmasters is the longterm solution but I like the idea that everything works. I was thinking about converting but decided to just replace the bags since everything else worked. that was 3 years ago no issues as yet

steve66

Reaction score
I have the two rear air bags off of my 99 that you can have if you want to pay the shipping for them

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you drive like this too long, you may consider replacing the bump stops. I just helped a guy on this issue on a 02 navi and the stops were DESTROYED although he had been on them for about half a year.