E-fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yea, I went through with this mod. After some complications, I more or less got it down.

This is what two 16" fans look like. They're on the radiator shroud just so you can see how two 16" won't fit. My mistake for assuming that the F150 and Expy radiator were the same size.
Fansonshroud.jpg

So, two 14" fans should fit in there, which I'll have to get as the summer nears. Right now, I have one 16" Zirgo in there. When I get the 14s, I'll probably put the two 16s in my dad's truck.

Here's how the one 16" looks like. Notice all the free engine space.:D
SNV35040.jpg

Here's a picture of my controller, and of the temp probe:
controlle.jpg
Thermostat.jpg

It's a DC Controller. Linky Apparently, they're supposed to be real good controllers that gradually start the fans. There's not much to connect, just the two wires to the battery, two wires to the fan(s) and one temp probe. You can also connect an ignition wire so it shuts off the fans after you turn off the key, as well as an AC wire that makes the fans run at 100% when the AC is on. I have neither the ignition, nor the AC wire connected, since I never use the AC and the fans turn off shortly after the car is off.

Have I noticed any benefits? Can't say. The SOP dyno feels better pull in the mid revs, but then again, that dyno isn't very accurate.:D Up until now, I'd been getting 14-15 mpg, so we'll see what this little mod does to those numbers.

Enjoy.

MadTxn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well done! I'll be interested to see what the MPG changes are. I was looking to get these at some point in the future.

They seem to make it sound like a hard install.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be that hard of an install. With the controller I got, it made things a little easier.

More or less, here is what I had to do:

1. Remove clutch fan and shroud. I'd have to say this was the hardest thing to do, since they both seem to have to come off at the same time. Remove the top two screws holding the shroud. Start to loosen the fan (you can rent a "Fan Clutch Removal Kit" for $20 from Autozone.) Loosen the radiator inlet hose found at the top of the radiator, and take it off and prop it somewhere/get someone to hold it. The shroud should come out of the two tabs on the bottom if you pull up and a little towards the engine. Finished loosening the fan (hold it so it doesn't fall towards the radiator.) Everything should more or less come out together. Hook the radiator hose back up.

2. Remove the black cover thing that sits on top of the radiator and grille. Basically it gives you "behind the grille" access. A flat head screw driver and some pliers should do the trick on removing the pins holding it down (I think there's seven of them.)

3. Install the E-fan(s). I used a nylon zip-tie style mounting system, which runs through the radiator and into a little foam and locking disk. Some E-fans come with this, others you'll have to get this from e-bay, etc.

3. Install the controller. In this case, I have it 3M double-sided-taped to the windshield wiper fluid dispenser. Not a bad mounting spot since it's flat and close by to the battery.

4. Run the wires, trim, and connect everything, as per instructions. In my case, also run the temp probe, and stick it in the radiator.

Really, everything shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours, with a good amount of time spent on taking the shroud off (took me a bit to figure out you couldn't remove the shroud unless you disconnected the radiator hose.)

Total, with controller, two fans, and mounting kit, was a little more than 300 dollars. On F150online, someone made a kit for around 120 (or was it 160), but they used a fan controller from Autozone, and got 40 dollar fans from E-bay.

In retrospect, I think I'd just order one of DC control's fans. It comes included with the controller, and all you have to connect the battery wires. Hmm.. looking at the 18" (3018-E) for 299, and giving the controller and 2 16" fans to my dad. Of course, I'd measure before buying this time :p

OVERKILL

Reaction score
ELVATO,

Great writeup and thanks for sharing.

When it gets warmer, I plan on converting to an electric fan setup as well.

Keep us posted on how your MPG is and if you run into any problems.

Randy

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

I took out that 16" fan, and went ahead and bought a used Mark VIII fan.

As far as MPG, I haven't really noticed much difference with the fan and UD pulleys. Then again, my driving isn't that conservative either. What I have noticed, though, is that the engine is a lot more quieter and I seem to travel further when coasting down.

I'll take a picture of the fan I have.

As you can see, I just drilled through the shroud, and used zip ties to fasten it to the radiator.
MarkVIIIfan.jpg

Most of the weight, though, is on a ledge on the bottom of the radiator.
MarkVIIIfanresting.jpg

Look at all that open space. :D
MarkVIIItopview.jpg

These are the zip ties I'm talking about. I found them at an Advanced Auto for 6 bucks. I called in advance, though, because the first Advanced Auto I went to didn't have them.
SNV35324.jpg

As an updated budget cost, the controller is around 140 dollar. The Mark VIII fan off e-bay was 60, though you can go to a junk yard and pull them for 30 dollars. One zip tie kit, 6 dollars. The Mark VIII fan should be more than enough to cool this engine (it pulls around 4300 CFM at full speed.) So you can have a good kit for 200 dollars. :)

If you go to the DC Controller site, they have a new fan (I think it's a Mark VIII) and controller for 300+, if you want the fan to be new. But, I hear these fans last a long time, since they are OEM.

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
[I used a nylon zip-tie style mounting system]

A word of caution iI have heard two stories of the straps vibrating and sawing through the radiator core leaving the truck
DOA

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the same fan setup on my mustang.... that thing moves some air! I didn't use a fan controller though I set up some relay logic and 2 temp switches. Low speed comes on at 185 degrees and high speed comes on at 190.

I notice my fan on the expedition mainly turns on when it is cold as hell in the morning.... not really needed then though...LOL

Nice Work Jose!

sf93

Reaction score
Hey ELVATO, Just wondering how your Mark VIII fan install is holding up? Any mileage improvements, cooling problems? I have a Mark VIII fan and DCC fan control unit sitting around and was thinking of putting it on the expy.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still holding up. :)

As for mileage, my driving is way too erratic to really give you a concise answer. I can get anywhere from 14s to 16s, with most of the time in the 15s. That's with the mods listed in my siggy.