Egr delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a full build on mine and did the EGR delete in the process just to save the cost of the $100+ egr tube. I was planning on doing a tune with the SCT tuner so it worked out well in the end. You will for sure pop the EGR code for faulty circulation. I didn't see a huge difference in the drivability with the code but I didn't push it past a day or 2 before I would use the scanner to reset before I got the SCT tuner. I completely agree with toms89 on the gains you will see from it. Like he said most do it to clean up the engine bay and also do it after installing many upgrades such as headers and top end build or intake. Unless you are finding a true need for doing this and plan on doing even a can tune with something like the SCT SF3 then I would look into troubleshooting the code and replacing the necessary parts.

OP
OP

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok cool, i did not think there would be much if any power gains, it's just ******* me off with this code. And don't want to clog up the cats. But i did hear about the tuner to but i dont think i will be doing anything to the motor anytime soon.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not replace the DPFE sensor as has been suggested? If you still have the original that could very well be your problem.

And you mentioned earlier that at some times it is super hot and others just warm. Like Tom said it does not run all the time, so it would largely depend on the type of drive you took. I would say that is normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to replace it, and i think it is the original sensor anyway and the y are cheap and easy to replace. I took the egr tube off yesterday to check to see if it was clogged and it was not but the thing was burning hot after a 40 min drive home but cooled down quick.

OP
OP

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok today while looking under the hood to see all i have to do to remove that sensor i noticed the egr vacuum solenoid was making a spinning sound for about 5 seconds after i turned the engine off. Like is was powering down, is that normal?

chad9f9

Reaction score
Not sure on the sounds you are getting from your EGR Vacuum Solenoid. I just checked mine after a 20min drive and it didn't make any noticeable sounds. I also had the wife start and stop the engine while I was listening under the hood and no sound from the Solenoid. From what I understand your DPFE sensor is failed if you are getting both low flow and excessive flow codes (P0401 and P0402) at the same time (I think there is also a DPFE code). If you are only getting low flow the EGR is not opening when it is supposed to. This could be a failed EGR Vacuum Solenoid not applying proper vacuum to operate the Solenoid or a cracked hose to the EGR valve or clogged EGR valve or failed EGR valve. Since you have already cleaned it the only remaining items it could be are a failed EGR or the failed EGR Vacuum Solenoid or crack hoses. Since I am still running the original EGR valve and your Solenoid is making abnormal noise I would check the hose to the EGR valve or swap out the EGR Vacuum Solenoid. Just my opinion but I hope it helps.

OP
OP

215Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed the sensor and the vacuum solenoid reconnected the battery and test drove it and I still get a stumble when I go up hills and still feels like a misfire but so far no CEL. so now I'm back to the misfire, changed all the plugs except #4 and 8 cause their are a notch to get to.

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I deleted mine during my build. A SCT tuner has the option for this. I makes no gains but does clean up the area. I have also noticed it will keep the intake cleaner I think not sure since I have a oil separator installed as well. Caused no issues with the way it runs, you have to figure in Do you have a tuner? Are comfortable to redo the vacuum lines? Are you sure you can break the nut loose on the manifold is the biggest one? I could not so I cut it, but I replaced mine with headers. So probably cheaper to just replace it.