EGR problems!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a 99 4.6L that keeps kicking out the P0401 code which is EGR insufficient flow detected.

Now I've read that if you put a vacume pump on the EGR you should be able to stall it, but I can't. It just idles rough. I've check electrical on the DPFE and the vacume regulator and they both are fine. Voltage to them, and resitance. I also get vacume at the EGR from the hose that mounts onto it.

I've read somewhere that someone had the EGR tube plugged and that it's a fairly common problem. That or the inlets in the intake manifold. I'm kinda leaning to either of those. I have an extra tube so I'm going to install that and probably take off the intake and throttle body and clean the inlets for the EGR.

Does this make sense to any of you? Any suggestions?

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check out the EGR flow sensor. Two small hoses, clean the 2 tubes with compressed air. If they flow and it still throws a code replace the sensor. It should be under the beauty cover with the 2 tubes attached to the main EGR tube coming from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve.....
Matt

40eastvp

Reaction score
I have the same problem and I have replaced all EGR components and was told the ports are clogged if and when you do yours let me know how that went and if it helped.