EL power running boards. Alignment rod question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just bought a 2011 EL and I am going to repair the power running boards. The non-el running boards do not have the rod that connects the 2 brackets. I am thinking about getting rid of this rod so I don't have to swap the longer stainless dowels in the hinges. Is this rod used for the sole purpose of aligning the brackets for mounting? I can't see that is serves any other purpose.

I plan on buying these brackets to make the repair...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Runni...rentrq:92bcd8cf1700aadafb7986aafff27e1c|iid:1

Thanks for any insight! I am loving this new truck, I will post some pics once I get her all cleaned up.

BradK

Reaction score
Hi. I bought actual Dorman 747-900 and 747-901 units. I have the long wheelbase XLT (Canadian version) that I think is EL in the US. Physically, the Dorman assemblies look like the eBay pictures you indicated in your post. The Dorman units specifically don't fit the long wheelbase version because they have short SS bracket hinge pins without cross- drilled holes. When you get your units in the mail, compare them to the old ones and you see which pins are for the long wheelbase unit and will know which of the pins I am referring to.
I agree with getting new brackets with the motors because one of my original brackets was badly corroded and would have failed. Plus, removing the old bracket from the old motor required a fair amount of force.
I swapped the longer SS bracket pins from the original brackets and bought SS connecting tube to replace the factory tubes that rotted through. I THINK (my guess only) is that the tube provides some assistance by putting torque on the rear SS pin to help lift the rear bracket. The two SS pins were aligned with the holes I drilled in each end of the connecting tube by attaching and pinning the front end and putting an awl in the rear SS bracket pin and torquing it into alignment.
Did I need to exchange pins, buy SS tubing, put pins in? Don't know for sure, but I tried to duplicate the original system as much as possible.
I scraped off as much old paint off the running board wear surfaces, primed,painted and put on an anti-slip clear coat too. It wore off again, but still looks better than original paint job.
I sent Dorman an email asking them to make rear brackets as well. They seem to be a very responsive company so maybe they will.

If this is unclear, pls let me know.

BTW, I have replaced window regulators, wiper control arms, rear window opener. All Dorman parts. Work very well.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a video on U-tube that shows how to remove the hinges from the motors and it requires heat.