Electical completely dead / reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bavism

Reaction score
I've had an issue happen twice. I've only owned my 2003 Expy for 5 months.

Yesterday everything started out routine. I unlocked the doors with my FOB. Put my key in the ignition, my driver's seat automatically moves forward and puts my seat in my saved position. Then when I turn the key to start the expy, everything just goes dead. Complete silence. No start, nothing. No dash lights, radio. Nothing electronic.

I took my key out of the ignition to try starting again. I notice since everything seems to be dead electrically, my seat does not move back when I remove the key from the ignition. Putting the key back in the ignition and trying to start, I get nothing. I even notice the red security light on the dash does not flash or respond in any way.

To kinda diagnose what works and doesn't I tried my FOB to see if I could lock/unlock the doors and no response.

After about a minute (though I didn't time it) of waiting, I start to hear some kind of a response, which sounded like electronics starting up. Just a slight hum of motors moving (possibly from the CD player) and then my security light comes on and is flashing like it normally would.

I don't recall if I had my key in the ignition or not at this point, but I then was able to start the expy normally, like nothing ever happened.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Did I cause some kind of a surge that blew something that reset after a minute?

As I mentioned I've had this happen once before (serveral weeks ago) and from what I remember it was pretty much the same thing. Any ideas on what happened or if I should be concerned.

Matt

B

bedrck46

First check all battery connections at the battery and where the connect to ground or other terminals.

How old is the battery?

OP
OP
B

bavism

Reaction score
Bedrck you were right on the money. It happened again, and it wasn't coming back on it's own, so I lifted the hood with the intention of needing to have it jumped and when I checked the positive battery connector, it was so loose I could easily lift it off of the terminal. After I pushed the connector onto the terminal better I was able to start the vehicle and drove it home. I then tightened everything down once I was home.

thanks again,

B

bedrck46

thanks for the update need to check them every so often keep terminals clean and tight