Electrical cascade of failures??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasturtle

Reaction score
I have a 2000 XLT and over the past 3 years I have had a series of electrical problems. The overhead compass etc has quit. The door locks and windows have quit, then started again, then quit again. The vehicle automatically shifts into 4 low or 4 high from AWD. The dash lights go out then come back. And other things as well. I have checked all the fuses in both boxes (cabin and under hood). Does anyone have any suggestions other than sell this thing? I love my truck and would hate to get rid of it but it's driving me crazy! I've read the other threads about windshield leaks, but I live in the desert and the truck is kept in the garage.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The truck may stay in the garage, but when you wash it do you wash it by hand or do you drive it thru a high pressure wash?

Sometimes the leak can be bad enough that you will get the water even just by hand washing (desert heat tends to shrink things - I live in southern New Mexico so I am familiar with the desert heat). The best thing to do would be to look under the dash and just make sure that you do not see any water spots on any of the modules.

zlink

Reaction score
need help also

having simular problem with my 2000 ford expedition...like you have read the other post my runnung board lights stay on,,, the wd 40 worked for a day now they are staying on, but when i now shut the door the brightness is 1/2 the brightness . also when i press the interior light button on the roof console that one light goes out i press the other and it will also fo off. One other item i noticed was my passenger mirror moves by itself to the most upward position sometimes by itself other times when i put the it in the off position. I have even disconnected the mirror manual switch and it still moves i have also pulled the fuses to the mirror and it still moves. My expedition was jumping in and out of 4 wheel drive when i made a turn. I thought i had transmission problems but my @14 fuse blew and it stopped jumping in and out of 4 wheel drive....The number 14 fuse operates my windows it also allows the running board lights to go out....Im headed out of town tomorrow and was hopping i would figure this out but for the past few days no luck...

lou lafata

Reaction score
lou

yep same flickering on/off dash on my 2000, know its gone but ussaly when it rains it happens, we gotta call ford, seems all same. i got a warrenty extension on this truck so when i find the prob. i' ll tell ya

OscarMike33

Reaction score
Lou, definitely keep us posted because I get the same symptoms as Zlink on my '03 Expy. I'm going to dig through it today to search for a possible ground.

lou lafata

Reaction score
Lou

Anybody find out what this crazy electrical is, it rained last night, all was good for a month, now no start, had to jump, dash lights flickering,

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your floorboard/carpet wet around the fuse box area. Probably water in your GEM caused stuff to turn on without the key, which cause the battery to die.

Blackwater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read some where that the power wiring aka battery power and ground and Alt. all under gaged and there is contact failure. Ill check for the post. I have some odd issues too and this might be the key.