Electrical Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricco4592

Reaction score
08 expedition EL, today I went outside and noticed my headlights and taillights flickering off and on, then realized I couldnt unlock the doors with the FOB. Unfortunately for me my actual key dosent work for my door, so I had to jimmy my way into my own truck to pop the hood. Get inside and none of the interior lights come on, put the key in truck starts no problem. Still no radio, no window power, no lock power, no interior lights. brake light is on the dash and the display says door ajar and liftgate ajar. Disconnected the battery and it was working again correctly for about 30 minutes then the headlight and taillights started flickering again. Ive changed the brake switch and it had no effect.Battery is about 3 years old but shows good voltage and cranked the truck over just fine.

Any insight would be appreciated.

OP
OP
ricco4592

ricco4592

Reaction score
The
See if your battery is week. Then check if the windshield is permitting water to leak into the fuse box.
the battery isnt bad, has good voltage. Checked the fuse box on the passenger side. looks dry didnt see any water. I disconnected the dimmer switch and that worked overnight, but now back to no interior lights no switches, windows, can't shift out of park. The headlights and taillights aren't flickering anymore though. I made sure the break pedal switch was good also by checking with a new one.

Last edited:

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clean the posts and inside battery post connectors. Check the relays. Purchase a service manual with wiring diagrams and trace each circuit to see if they have a common point of failure.

OP
OP
ricco4592

ricco4592

Reaction score
Clean the posts and inside battery post connectors. Check the relays. Purchase a service manual with wiring diagrams and trace each circuit to see if they have a common point of failure.
I know to check all that. I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this and had a point to start other than at square one.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
What is the status of your rear window wiper? If it isn’t setting itself into the off position completely it will screw up all sorts of things. Ease the wiper cap off and lubricate it well. Move the wipe back and forth to make sure the motors drive sets into the off position.

OP
OP
ricco4592

ricco4592

Reaction score
The rear wiper is set correctly as far as I can tell. I had replaced it a few months back with a newer one. I'm leaning towards the SJB being messed up based on the specific things not engaging.

OP
OP
ricco4592

ricco4592

Reaction score
Follow up with this, ended up being the BCM. Had to have the dealer program the new one but we are good to go

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
Pesky electronics. Use to be anyone with some mechanical ability could address parts not working. Now even the frigging wipers have to be programmed. Glad you got ‘er done!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett