emissions scan test won't complete?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnman82

Reaction score
I posted a while back about replacing the charcoal cannister to clear a check engine light. It's been 3~4 months, not quite 1000 miles and I plugged the scanner in and it still says it's waiting for the (evaporative) emissions test to complete.

Any suggestions to get this to complete? Maybe a hard reset - like disconnect the battery for 20 minutes?

Sorry, 2001 Expy, 4.7l, 4x2.

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
is the light still on? we need the code, if its a large leak the easyest thing to do is replace the gas cap

OP
OP
M

mtnman82

Reaction score
No codes. No stored codes, no pending codes. It has a 3-LED 'quick emissions check (red, yellow, green)'. It was red when I started, and it's been yellow ever since I cleared the codes. The scanner also was flashing both CAT & EVA, which the manual says means that test hasn't completed yet. The CAT stopped flashing within ~100 miles, but the EVA has been flashing every time I check it. I have an Innova scanner and it reads fine on my other cars. Maybe I'll replace the gas cap for the heck of it - thanks for the thought!

Last edited:

nordictom

Reaction score
Just a thought........ I had the same issue on a Dodge PU.
You may have a small leak in the EVAP System. If you get a smoke test on the system, it will show the leak asap. In the mean time, take a look at any rubber hose on the system, especially at a bend, they tend to crack on the inside.

NT

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most likely the evap sensor. Not sure on Expys but quite often they are on the charcoal canister. Did you see one when you cleaned/replaced it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1