Engine knock.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bulldog77

Reaction score
I have a 97 5.4 with 182k that always had a slight knock at start up but would go away in less than a couple second. Last week the knock got worse especially as the rpms increase. When its warm at idle you can barely hear it but as i increase the rpms it gets worse. I'm still reading previous threads but this almost sounds like a bad rod bearing. It comes from the driver side. Any suggestions?

Sent from the recliner butt naked

qcksnake

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does sound like a rod bearing. Does it have or has it had Fram oil filters on it? If so go back to motorcraft or purolator filter and try it. Most likely the damage is allready done.The way you describe it I would almost bet its had fram filters on it. They dont have the drainback valve they need.

MUSKYMAN52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you havent gotten that fixed yet, hurry up before you know it you will be getting a complete engine rebuild if you dont want to buy a new vehicle

12yearhondatech

Reaction score
The way I've cured my lower end engine knock in my 2004 and other expeditions is b4 u change the oil put a can on sea foam fuel injection in the engine oil drive it for about 60 miles then change the oil with a factory oil filter and use 10w- 30 castrol gtx motor oil along with 2 quarts of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. I've done this to about 10 f150's and expeditions and has fixed each one. Good luck.