Engine running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DustyLens

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new here, my expy is 1998 xlt with 4.6 and 313,*** miles. Last Monday I took it out for a drive since I had to move it for snow plow, it was running great and everything. Then have not use it for 3 days due to extremely COLD temps and did not have to go anywhere. Of course battery went dead which didn't surprise me. Jump start last night and it runs rough, so let it run for good 15, 20 mins to recharge up battery. Tried it today it started no problem but runs really rough, so took out for a drive after let it warm up for half hour or so. I slam the gas pedal all the way and it moves like a snail rpm would go high and seems like it cant go over 30. *my guess since my speed cluster not working. Transmission fluid is good, coolant is good, etc... So I was wondering what could be the problem? My brother plan to look at it for me sometimes this weekend. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
D

DustyLens

Reaction score
just making sure, no codes? engine light?

I'm sure the engine light is on, just the bulb is burnt out lol. Have not checked codes yet that's why my bro will help me out since he have the scan tool. Last summer I had to replace both coil packs since the codes was for misfiring, 4 front plugs since 4 back ones are rusted out and did not want to risk breaking them. Has been running great since then until last night when jumped. Could smashing bunch of drifts affect it? lol

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably a vacuum leak or bad MAF. In the cold weather we just had a lot of the rubber grommets, elbows and such can crack or leak. Check all your vacuum lines and MAF connections. If you can get a OBD2 reader check for lean codes or MAF code. If you can get a OBD2 with live data check your short and long term fuel trims and this will tell you a lot. You can diagnose weather it's a vacuum leak or fuel delivery problem. You can also do a water bottle test or smoke test for vacuum leaks. All of this can be researched on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk