enlgine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patrick

Reaction score
Just bought a 2000 expy and been reading up on the "THINGS TO DO" to get better gas milage and performance out of it.
First thing i have done is added a K&N Air filter kit. That is it for the moment.

Now after 180 miles on the new air filter i am getting an engine light, which is telling me the #1 and #2 banks are lean???. I am hoping that is has to do with the air filter upgrade i did and not something i got stuck with from the previous owner.....i have read that some people have put in a diferrent air flow sensor ????not sure if it was for the same troulble i am having or not.

Thanks for your time,

Patrick

OP
OP
P

Patrick

Reaction score
I have double checked everything and it all seem right. I don't believe anything happened to the sensor during installation.

would a bad air sensor or anything to do with the K&N air filter system give me a "lean" code on each bank?

Patrick

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The mass air flow sensor has been coated with oil and need to be cleaned with some brake clean. if the air fliter has too much oil on it it will coat the sensor and cause that code

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that code means that the adaptive fuel control has added the maximum amount of fuel. Check for a loose hose clamp or other leak between your mass air meter and your throttle body. Also make sure any vent hoses are in the proper location. Any un-metered air getting into the engine and not being measured by the mass air meter can cause this condition. It could also be the mass air element being coated with oil as stated earlier.
Matt

jimboh247

Reaction score
I had the same code , hose to the PVC valve had collasped. Check for leaks. I agree, the engine is getting unmetered air from somewhere.