exhaust manifold bolts question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have done this work 5 Weeks ago...leaking on each side and some bolts were broken

I had to heat each bolt and spent much time on each...
Two of them i had to drill out.

I also had to lift the engine because there was not enough space to take the header off...

IMAG0162.jpg

OUCH! Can we assume since you put headers on (and off!) that was all new hardware a little while ago? Which hardware was that?

Marksexpy

Reaction score
What is the best exhaust manifold gasket on the market? Put on a new manifold "dorman" 4 years ago and it blew out the gasket recently. I have changed several manifolds on these 5.4. On The studs i cant get the nut off i grind off with a burr. Once you get the manifold off there is enough of the stud remaining to mig weld a nut or bolt to the existing stud. Then I use a wrench and turn them out. I think the heat of welding really helps on loosing them up.

What is the best exhaust manifold gasket? Want it to last more than 4 years next time.

Thanks

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just did mine recently. If you have a good set of easy outs(style that grabs the outside) then you should do ok. Just soak in pb blaster like previously said. I only had one stubborn one, luckily I have a welder and welded a nut to the very short stud I had remaining. If you do snap it flush you will want to center punch and carefully drill and use an extractor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 41

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here it is after it finally came out. I believe it was a mix of the high temp from welding and actually having something to grab hold of, but it worked for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 42

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the best exhaust manifold gasket on the market? Put on a new manifold "dorman" 4 years ago and it blew out the gasket recently. I have changed several manifolds on these 5.4. On The studs i cant get the nut off i grind off with a burr. Once you get the manifold off there is enough of the stud remaining to mig weld a nut or bolt to the existing stud. Then I use a wrench and turn them out. I think the heat of welding really helps on loosing them up.

What is the best exhaust manifold gasket? Want it to last more than 4 years next time.

Thanks

Lmao I didn't even catch your reply.

Marksexpy

Reaction score
Dune rcr- what gasket did you go with. I have decided on trying victor reinz with metal layers. I am hoping these dont blow out as easy. The dorman was all fiber with no metal and only lasted four years 20-30 thousand miles. All my studs were still in place and tight but the gasket blew out on the rear port.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you ever need to replace the studs again there is a vendor on e-bay that carries Stainless Steel Studs Which should hold up much better

Marksexpy

Reaction score
Got the victor reinz gaskets today what a difference than the one the comes in the dorman minifold kit. The new gasket are actually oem gasket you can see the ford logo in them. Look like the will hold up much better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger