Exhaust Noise - seems too loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prenticect

Reaction score
comign from a 2017, this 2020 seems louder. I cant tell if the increased noise is from the exhaust manifold, cat converter area and even out of the resonator/muffler, almost like all 3. I bought it used and the price was pretty good, so I am waiting for "the issue". But I saw in another thread their 18 and 21 were loud as well, so maybe it is just how it is. Wanted to see from others before I started to investigate or just ignore it. Thanks :)

ryoung57

Reaction score
What trim level? I just purchased a limited and I'm pretty sure they're pumping fake exhaust noise through the stereo. I'd like to find a way to turn it off.

OP
OP
P

prenticect

Reaction score
Platinum 4x4 MAX. I am standing outside. Inside I only hear it, but it seems to calm down some in time.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first bought my brand new 2018, I was baffled how loud it was when we started it at the dealership. My wife immediately said holy S... that's loud. We were standing behind it and remote started it in the cold......

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
comign from a 2017, this 2020 seems louder. I cant tell if the increased noise is from the exhaust manifold, cat converter area and even out of the resonator/muffler, almost like all 3. I bought it used and the price was pretty good, so I am waiting for "the issue". But I saw in another thread their 18 and 21 were loud as well, so maybe it is just how it is. Wanted to see from others before I started to investigate or just ignore it. Thanks :)
My 19 exhaust is louder than my 07 Navigator was. And my navi had a 5.4 V8. Its normal

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
maybe the 2020 puked up the flimsy packing material from the muffler, seems to be a well known thing.

Ugh_J

Reaction score
I notice the interior "drone" is significantly louder in my 2020 Expedition, my parents' 2022, and the 2023 loaner I had a few weeks ago versus my 2015 F-150 or the parents' 2019. Same 3.5L EB, all stock exhausts.

Tradman2018

Reaction score
This likely wont help, but I just bought a 2018 that has a noise that sound like mild gas-farting upon start up. It seems to settle down when running for a short while and of course I cannot hear it in the cab, even while sitting idle. I also test drove a 2019 that did not seem to have the same sound. I came from a 2013 F150 Lariat with the V8 and now I guess maybe I'm just getting used to the V6 with a turbo?

Alex Taylor

Reaction score
Interesting I just got my 2023 last week and when I started it yesterday in the garage it did sound louder than my old 2020, enough so that I actually walked to the back to look at the exhaust pipe. It's not massively louder but just a bit. After a few minutes it seemed to have quieted down so not sure, perhaps it's just the motor and exhaust breaking in? (Mine only has 142 miles on it.)

ryoung57

Reaction score
Platinum 4x4 MAX. I am standing outside. Inside I only hear it, but it seems to calm down some in time.
Could be because it’s cold. When the exhaust warms up it does a better job absorbing the sound?

Could also be a cold start setting (although that’s a little advanced for a ford). My Audi and my Acura both had valves on the exhaust that would open on start up to give an “aggressive presentation”. Once warm the valve closes and it gets quieter. Mercedes does this with their AMG cars too.

I’ve got a stealth package (303, not 304) and one thing I really wish was that they’d put exhaust on it like the Explorer ST. I know they’re fake, but those quad tips would look awesome.