Exhaust Noise - seems too loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BP 09

Reaction score
Pretty normal for the 18 and up models. I’ve always noticed from the outside the exhaust note is louder than the gen 1 ecoboosts at pretty much all times. Sounds good and deep in my opinion for a v6.

For what it’s worth, cold starts will always be louder on these due to the cold start fueling programming used by Ford to help heat up the cats for emissions. Extra fuel, high pressure fuel pump activation, and extremely retarded timing and spark advance during cold start are what make it so loud first thing in the morning. All to make the EPA happy. My wife’s 2.0 turbo Wrangler sounds like an old farm tractor on start up because of the same thing.

z71kris

Reaction score
Yes my cold start is loud. I can easily hear mine from the drive to anywhere in my house. I do back into the drive park near the garage door, but still.

Danmar

Reaction score
I bought a Ford certified used 2020 Expedition Limited with about 39,000 miles on it a couple months ago from a dealership in Ohio. It didn't seem bad on the flat ground there when I test rode it. Upon getting home to northern WV where terrain isn't flat, I notice a lot of noise from it. A lot or road noise and the engine has a low rumble like a truck when accelerating on even the slightest grade. Frankly, I'd expect more from what was a $75,000 vehicle in 2020. I dislike it so much I'm probably going to get rid of it.

ccssid

Reaction score
2021 limited here. purchased a few months ago with 17,000 miles. My wife mentioned the exhaust being different and a bit louder, perhaps, than our 2018 explorer platinum (same engine). Personally, I like the sound (low subtle rumble at start-up) of our expedition. In any event , it sounds like a kitty cat compared to my tuned Audi S4

Meek One

Reaction score
What trim level? I just purchased a limited and I'm pretty sure they're pumping fake exhaust noise through the stereo. I'd like to find a way to turn it off.
Same here. It’s a little annoying and I can’t tell if it’s really the exhaust or the fake exhaust. I have the 3.73 gearing so the rpm’s are higher at cruising speed which adds to the issue.

Boli Muentes

Reaction score
I put a CAI and hi flow cats on my 2020, it sounds awesome! I guess if you want silence buy an EV.

Last edited: