Expedition Expedition to Alaska

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a little FYI about maps. Google maps allows you to download maps for free for a month or 2, and that should include POIs, businesses, etc.

There's also another maps app I would HIGHLY recommend, called what3words - https://what3words.com
One of the cleverest things I've ever seen, it makes communicating location insanely easy. I was introduced to it by a ex gfs uncle - smartest guy I ever met, and he loved finding new clever things.

Ahh, the official 'address' system of the Mongolian Post Office?

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
Just a little FYI about maps. Google maps allows you to download maps for free for a month or 2, and that should include POIs, businesses, etc.

There's also another maps app I would HIGHLY recommend, called what3words - https://what3words.com
One of the cleverest things I've ever seen, it makes communicating location insanely easy. I was introduced to it by a ex gfs uncle - smartest guy I ever met, and he loved finding new clever things.
Yes, I have used Google map download often and I'll do so on this trip too. For example, will download in Edmonton the bits up to Dawson City YT, and so on. It's very easy to use.

what3words is ...interesting. I guess it requires that whoever you're sharing a location with also have the app, to decode those 3 words into a location. Also easy to share a location with Google maps, though.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I have used Google map download often and I'll do so on this trip too. For example, will download in Edmonton the bits up to Dawson City YT, and so on. It's very easy to use.

what3words is ...interesting. I guess it requires that whoever you're sharing a location with also have the app, to decode those 3 words into a location. Also easy to share a location with Google maps, though.

Its just a mnemonic device for coordinates

Drawbacks discovered immediately: it doesn't catch similar words or misprints or plural misuse

For example, joke.wink.surely is a crappy but free secret parking spot by the airport in Los Angeles.... but jokeS.wink.surely and joke.winkS.surely are in Jersey and Michigan, with no search suggestions that maybe its a typo and hey there's something 1 letter off from what you typed in California

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its just a mnemonic device for coordinates

Drawbacks discovered immediately: it doesn't catch similar words or misprints or plural misuse

For example, joke.wink.surely is a crappy but free secret parking spot by the airport in Los Angeles.... but jokeS.wink.surely and joke.winkS.surely are in Jersey and Michigan, with no search suggestions that maybe its a typo and hey there's something 1 letter off from what you typed in California

Actually it specifically states that homophones have been excluded.

But I get your point.

Yes it does require both parties to have the app to decode, however it's far more accurate than Google maps, especially in non English speaking countries (I discovered this in Cyprus a few years back).

Eagle 71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are a bunch of videos on YouTube about Building The AK Highway
MrSticker, many thanks for posting these, and the great video on Dick Proenneke you posted earlier! The local PBS station showed these several years back, and I never got around to making copies.
The latter (the video on Dick Proenneke) is a great testament to some nice-to-have survival skills.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
I was reviewing some of my early paperwork on my truck and found I already had installed the skid plates (engine and transmission) just after purchasing the truck. So I guess I'm more ready than I thought I was. :)

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lived in Alaska for 4 yrs... unless u plan on really going off road factory skid plate will be fine

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When u see the signs that say get gas now... GET GAS NOW!!! Too many ppl think they can make it the next 100+ miles to next station and run out

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
I lived in Alaska for 4 yrs... unless u plan on really going off road factory skid plate will be fine

When u see the signs that say get gas now... GET GAS NOW!!! Too many ppl think they can make it the next 100+ miles to next station and run out

Good points. Not planning on going off road, and we do plan to keep the 26 gallon tank above half as much as possible - I generally get 10 mpg in the city, 16-17 on the road, but know it can be worse than that with full load, cargo box, up and down mountains, and variable road conditions. Working in our favor is that it will be summer...but always filling up in the bigger towns will help keep us on credit card rather than cash, though we will use cash when needed.

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
Well, been to Alaska and back, should arrive Houston area tonight. No serious truck issues or driving challenges. I'll catch up with some pics but meanwhile here's the truck in NJ ready to go and another high view from hotel room. And a shot of our excellent insect DNA sample collection.4c4bb9adb142b9e1eccc0f2e7a326d04.jpgaa05cc3cfe0e2c1f6d9f84c70e14afc3.jpgd4ea1766f482a3eb507ee9fb710ac9af.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk