Expedition Idle issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntinfool

Reaction score
I have a 1997 expedition with around 150k miles on it. I am having a random idle issue. The vehicle will not idle when started. If the accelerator is continuously applied the vehicle will run fine. The vehicle will then die if the accelerator is not applied. Once again this problem is random and does not happen on every start-up. I would really appreciate and information anyone could relay to me.

Thanks,

slo-ryd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look and listen for any vacuum leaks.
Remove the idle air control valve (motor) and clean it with carb/choke cleaner and let it air dry. If that doesn't work, you'll need to replace it. You'll need to reset the KAM (keep alive memory) after any of these steps so the adaptive learning in the computer will relearn the idle speed. To reset the KAM disconnect both terminals from the battery and touch them together for a bit.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Try this link. http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=4926 Sometimes it's like Slo-Ryd said. Its as simple as a vacuum leak. As for the KAM reset, I've never heard that you had to touch the terminals together. I think you'll get the same reset just from disconnecting the neg. terminal for a couple of minutes. Is your CEL on?

Last edited: