Expedition Limited vs Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I high-centered recently on a big pile of snow (I walked right up it trying to get into a slightly too small parallel parking space) and 4A was more helpful than 4H. 4L and some traction aids (kinda like snowshoes) was what really got me out though.

I don’t even have limited-slip. AdvanceTrac made my brakes pretty warm but it did its job well.
4H? Have we not all come to the determination that there is no 4H?

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4H? Have we not all come to the determination that there is no 4H?
No, if you get the FX4 package or the max trailer tow package, you'll get the two speed transfer case which has 4H (and N and 4L). But there's no button to set the transfer case into 4H. If it's in normal drive mode and you press the 4A button, the computer will decide when to use 4H and when not to. Selecting some of the other terrain modes (sand?), will result in the transfer case being set to 4H.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, if you get the FX4 package or the max trailer tow package, you'll get the two speed transfer case which has 4H (and N and 4L). But there's no button to set the transfer case into 4H. If it's in normal drive mode and you press the 4A button, the computer will decide when to use 4H and when not to. Selecting some of the other terrain modes (sand?), will result in the transfer case being set to 4H.
Got it!!

OP
OP
B

bkanic

Reaction score
Purchased a fully loaded XLT since I couldn't get a Limited with the lighter Med Stone leather interior or with a bench 2nd row seat. All Limiteds I saw have the black (Ebony) interior and Captain chairs second row seats. Deal breaker for me!

Has anyone seen a Limited with the lighter Med Stone leather interior and bench 2nd row seat or is this not an option?

See link below. Limited w Meduim stone. The question is wether the Meduim Stone is as Nice as the Ceramic on the Platinum?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/721835371/overview/
I have used 4A in the snow, and it's great.

one comment above i just wanted to clarify after doing much research myself, and differences between AWD and 4A. The truck doesnt have a center diff, it has a variable transfer case. in the case of a diff, 100% of torque can be directed in either direction. with the transfer case, as the drive shaft goes through the transfer case to the rear axle, you can never disengage the rear, and can only really go up to 50/50. But it's a electronically controlled wet clutch which can transfer 0-50 to the front, and basically lock up the clutch to get a 'locked' status.

So the problem with AWD vehicles and snow, (depending on tech, and vehicle computer applying brakes to various wheels), in a purely mechanical sense, you can have one wheel of the four without traction, and all torque applied to that wheel. This problem is compensated for by the computer applying brakes to slipping wheels.

back to the truck. so because it's a transfer case, rear is always getting torque. in 4A, the computer will decide if front wheels also get torque. but unless locked up, the transfer case allows slippage, so you dont get binding in corners.
The limited slip rear diff will intelligently only allow one wheel to slip before transferring torque to the other. (and can be locked up all together with the button)
The front diff doesn't have the locking option, but traction control will do what ADW vehicles do, and apply brakes to wheels which are loosing traction, transferring torque to the other side.
All together, the 4A mode by itself will do a very good job in snow.

if you are stuck, sure, you can lock the rear, which will help, but shouldn't be used on dry pavement due to binding.
Shane_th_ee also correctly mentioned the drive modes. when you put it in snow mode, i believe that basically puts it in 4H (locked transfer case), but again cautions on using this on dry pavement.

99.9% of the time, 4A, and proper snow tiers.

Wow, very thorough, thanks. I will follow up w untouched on this once I figure out what more to ask. I need to read this a couple times

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See link below. Limited w Meduim stone. The question is wether the Meduim Stone is as Nice as the Ceramic on the Platinum?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/721835371/overview/

Wow, very thorough, thanks. I will follow up w untouched on this once I figure out what more to ask. I need to read this a couple times

Its not. The ceramic color scheme is so much better. The stone interior scheme doesnt flow well to me. Black has that luxurious vibe i love it.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree 4A is totally sufficient in most scenarios. I think having 4A and 4L is still a perfectly fine system.
I do wish there was an actual 4H setting for certain driving conditions like muddy fields or when I’m out ice fishing. I’m sure the mud terrain setting probably puts it in 4H but I’d like some visual cue that it is actually in 4H and not just in 4A.

OP
OP
B

bkanic

Reaction score
Its not. The ceramic color scheme is so much better. The stone interior scheme doesnt flow well to me. Black has that luxurious vibe i love it.

Thanks for confirming. I’m going Platinum or Denali. I haven’t test driven either but the Expedition enterior is the clear winner. Same w the navigation console. GM needs an update.