Expy Overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rburch

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the trans today!

DSCF5328.jpg
DSCF5327.jpg

Had to call Detroit Axle again today since its Tuesday and i still haven't received a tracking number on my hubs. They still weren't sent out! I was told when i called Friday that they would be sent on Monday so i spoke with the manager and he is sending them out today and said i should have them Thursday.

OP
OP
rburch

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! Got the hubs a day early! Now Im all ready to get started this weekend! The wait has been agonizing!

DSCF5329.jpg

OP
OP
rburch

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ha Ha! Interesting turn of events today! Turns out that all the trouble i went through getting my hubs might end up paying me back!

Wife called me at lunch today and says "you got a package today"! I was like what? I wasn't expecting anything because i have got everything i bought.

So i ask her what it is and she says "Its the same thing you got yesterday"

Hubs?

And she says yes!

So if they don't call and claim them by Monday then they will be for sale!

They are 97-00 Front Driver and Pass. 4x4 w/ABS hubs.

I don't see them calling since I had called last Friday to get them sent and called back Tuesday and spoke to the manager and they still didn't show that they were sent.

So i will keep everyone interested informed!

I will probably get started after work tomorrow!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rburch

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the front end most of the way done today! Didnt get pics or the LCA bushings in cause i wanted to make sure i got it done so i could make it to work Mon. And i didnt know what surprises it would throw at me! Also didnt have access to any air tools this weekend which would make it a lot easier to get the TB out with an air chisel!

Drivers side hub was shot. It couldnt have had any grease left in it because it was all between the hub and cv axle!

Going to get an alignment tomorrow! Drove it to return the ball joint press and and get some dinner and it was pretty bad!

Cant wait to get the LCA bushings in because I can already tell a difference with just the UCA bushings installed!

One thing i did learn is to get the axle nuts and bolts loose BEFORE you you start taking the front end apart because being able to use the brakes to keep the axle from spinning is a BIG plus!!!!!

One secret i can share with every one is that you dont need a pulley puller to get the hubs out! Just undo the 3 hub bolts about half way and hit them with a hammer! Keep backing the bolts out a little until it pops out!

OP
OP
rburch

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found some time today to install the SD trans cooler! The install is simple and i didnt have many problems.

This is a "how to" to install a Super Duty Trans Cooler into a F150/Expedition for added trans cooling.

Parts you will need:
SD Trans Cooler
PS Hose
8in 5/16 piece of break line with 5/8 fittings on it
2-3/8x5/16 adapters
2-5/8 Hose fittings
Flaring Tool

First thing to do is remove the headlights and corners.

Next step is to remove the plastic radiator cover and the grill. There are 10 screws that hold on the grill. 6 across the front top of the grill and 2 behind each turn signal light.
There are gap guards on each end of the grill that are held in by push in clips, there are 2 that hold it on each fender and 4 that hold it on the grill. Remove the clips and the gap guards.
Then there are 2 clips that hold in the bottom of the grill. Use a flat screw driver to undo the clips and remove the grill.
DSCF5351.jpg

Next step is to remove the inner grill support. There is a plastic cover that covers the inner grill support where you could see it through the grill. It is held on by 3 push in clips. Remove the clips and the cover.
There are rubber fillers on each side of the radiator and are held in by push in clips. There are 8 clips, remove the clips and fold the pieces in towards the middle of the radiator.
There are 10 8mm bolts that hold on the inner grill support. There are 2 on each end, 2 in a support on each side of the radiator opening, and 2 on the center support. Remove the bolts and the inner grill support.
DSCF5360.jpg

The next step is to remove the center support with the hood latch on it. There are 4 10mm bolts. 2 in the top and two in the bottom. (note: the bottom left bolt attaches the right side of the factory trans cooler to the center support) Remove the 4 bolts and the center support and place it between the bumper and the core support on the drivers side.
DSCF5354.jpg
DSCF5355.jpg

The next step is to mount the SD trans cooler. The bottom mounting arms aren't quite long enough to reach each side of the radiator and mount it with a bolt so this was my solution! There are two brackets on either side of the radiator with 2 bolts that hold on each. Remove the top bolt and loosen the bottom one about a 1/4 inch on each one. Now take the trans cooler and slide the 2 bottom mounting arms behind the two brackets an both sides of the radiator making sure the top mounting tabs don't stick up past the top of the core support and that it is centered over where the center support mounts at and re install the support bolts.
DSCF5357.jpg
DSCF5359.jpg

Use 2 #14 Hex self tapping screws to mount the top mounting tabs of the trans cooler to the upper core support.

I used a 8in piece of brake line for the trans cooler connections that had two 5/8in male fittings already on it and cut it in half and flared the ends slightly so the PS hose wouldn't slip off. And for the connection to the trans line on the truck I used a 3/8 to 5/8 adapter with a 5/8 hose fitting. Screw the fitting into the trans cooler and attach the PS hose to the trans lines and you are an your way with cooler trans temps!

Installation of the truck is in reverse to whats stated above.

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how much do you want for those hubs?
And can you send me a link to where you got all the stuff for the front end?
Mine desperately needs to be redone and I know I need new front hubs aswell.