Extra PATS key idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so I've only got a single key for my Expedition. From what I understand, it's expensive to get more keys made because I need to go to the dealer to do it.

But here's my idea........

The PATS system doesn't know if a PATS programmed key is in the ignition, it just needs to be near enough to the ignition for the PATS system to read it.

Correct?

So if I got 2 new keys cut at the local hardware store and then secured the existing PATS key inside the steering column, it should work. Right?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That should work

When I purchased my 01 it only had one key I then ordered a second pats key from e-bay and had it cut.
I then went to a local locksmith that could program keys and had him program the second key. Once I had two keys I then ordered two more keys from e-bay Had them cut and was then able to program them myself Now have a total of 4 keys.

The cost of having a locksmith program the key was about $55.00

poorboy1964

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not as bad a price as I thought Bedrck47. Tom I saw someone on another forum do what you are saying he claimed it worked just fine if I remember correctly he zip tied it in the column

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is how lesser quality remote start systems have been installed over the years.
Advantage is you save money by not having to purchase/program additional keys. Disadvantage is a screw driver will now start your truck.

Dewayne

Reaction score
I only had 1 working key with my 99 so I removed the chip from the key drilled a small hole in the lock cylinder and epoxyed the chip to the cylinder works great .

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Does your Expy, have a remote start? The spare key may be already zip tied, to column. This is a hack, way to override PATS. I heard a third key can be programmed, with the remote start as the "second" key. I bought a blank PATS key on EBAY, 2 for $8. I had local locksmith, program it for $50(took 3 minutes, what a scam!). My local Valu Home center, cut the 3rd key for free and I programmed it myself.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your Expy, have a remote start? The spare key may be already zip tied, to column. This is a hack, way to override PATS. I heard a third key can be programmed, with the remote start as the "second" key. I bought a blank PATS key on EBAY, 2 for $8. I had local locksmith, program it for $50(took 3 minutes, what a scam!). My local Valu Home center, cut the 3rd key for free and I programmed it myself.

Would you really consider it scam if you needed that second key Or if you went to a ford dealer and was charged twice as much

Although you were able to program the 3rd key yourself You would have been able to if you didn't have two keys that were programed

And $50.00 is a very reasonable fee to program a key. If he was any cheaper he would be out of business

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Would you really consider it scam if you needed that second key Or if you went to a ford dealer and was charged twice as much

Although you were able to program the 3rd key yourself You would have been able to if you didn't have two keys that were programed

And $50.00 is a very reasonable fee to program a key. If he was any cheaper he would be out of business
Dude, you are only posting to argue, find a new hobby and get a life.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOOK 'DUDE" the only one that is looking for an argument id you "DUDE"

Sorry if I hurt the child's feelings

Maybe if you were as involved in that forum as much as others then you may understabd things

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire