Fadding trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

Reaction score
I was wondering where there any recalls on this fading trim at the bottom of the XLT's. The factory replaced my trim before but its beginging to fade again I have seen some out there worse than mine. I thought about getting it painted the same color as the truck but afraid of how it might look... Any suggestions?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I heard something about the dealerships replacing it if it was still in warrenty. Don't know if they will do it out of it, though.

I've heard good results of people painting their trim black with the Plastic Krylon spray paint. Don't know how it will look with any of the other colors, though...

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone on these forums painted their running board on their black expy and it looked good. Had a pic too. Forgot the name of the guy, he has lincoln rims on it too so it's easy to pick out.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that is something I have never thought of..... pretty cool!

So do you use crunchy for heavily oxidized finishes like a rubbing compound?........LOL

I also was looking for a way to have lunch while detailing the car so I will buff mine off with some wonderbread!:D

Nice tip with nice results.... Thanks for that tidbit.

Matt R

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the peanut butter does is oil up the plastic to make it look shiny, but it's a temporary solution, and a messy one(it'd be easier to just use olive oil or peanut oil if for some reason you like using foods on your car.) If you want a fast temp solution just use a product like back to black or armorall. If you want a permenant solution, spend $30 bucks and take 2 hours to paint it. Mine's be painted for almost a year now, and it still looks pretty much like the day I did it.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, how bout painting and then up keeping with some 303. :)