faded grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fat Jack

Reaction score
This morning i was rubbin the truck down with that spray on detailer stuff (works pretty good)and i come around to the front of the grill and i notice that the silver part (not the chrome) that the air flows throught is faded pretty bad and looks like hammered shit! At this point the OCD takes over and i run into the garage and grab a can of black paint thinkin i'll just handle this right now. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i hear the lil voice in my head SCREAMING, STOP, YOU MORON. Ask the fine, knoledgable folks at Ford Expedition forum. com first. After my 9yr old daughter Stinky prys the can outta my hand i'm now able to type. So here are my questions.

1st. Does the grill part come outta the chrome ring it sits in come out? It dosen't appear to me that it does.
2nd. Other than cleanin throughly, and masking is there much prep work?
3rd. The color will be black so flat? or gloss? i'm leaning twords flat.
4th. What kind or brand of paint? (rattle can) I dont want it to wrinkle up and look like hammered shit as previously described.

Thanks for any help you can bring to this delima.

The pic below is Stinky with her biggest Crappie to date 3lb2oz. Who wouldn't give a can of black spray paint to this beautiful lil girl.

Attachments

• KKtPFPbigcrappie10-13.jpg
    KKtPFPbigcrappie10-13.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my '98 the grill does not come out. I changed out my grill and had to cut it out. As far as prep work I would use a good dish soap and a stiff brush and clean out each section. Get a good automotive or high heat rattle can and it should hold up well. I would normally go with a flat but on this I think I might go glossy because the flat may end up looking like its faded in this particular application. I would pull the whole grill assembly off and paint it so that you can hit it front and back.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do what i did. take off the whole grill assembly. chrome and all. tape off everything you can close and the edges. takes quite a few of tiny pieces to cover the dent in the grill part. then i bed lined it. no chips, a few runs, but not complaining. still holds strong. rustoleum bed liner is the better one. or duplicolor engine heat paint. i use flat or semi gloss black on my rims for touch up and front cross member. dont have any pics of the grill. camera doesnt pick it up very well, but its a lot better than the faded greyish color.