First Expedition - 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hessell1114

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum here and looking to get some insight on maintaining a 2012 Expedition Limited that we just bought with 136,000 miles in Michigan. I was first hesitant with moving forward after reading all of the 5.4 3v "issues", but we decided to go ahead with the purchase after our previous 3 row was totalled out (Honda Pilot). My plan is to hopefully soon start changing all of the fluids myself. After researching this forum and youtube everything seems pretty straight forward. With obviously keeping up with the oil changes, I plan to do the tranny, brake, steering, and coolant myself, but I am wondering if I should even touch the front and rear axles fluids and transfer case? I never had experience previously with changing any axle fluid etc..Also, with reading up about the removal of the two piece spark plugs, would I be best to just leave that up to a shop?

Lastly, we have the headrest DVD screen system installed but I am unable to get the two remotes that came with it to work. Does anyone know of universal remote brands that might work?

Sorry for the long initial post. Any comments about what to look for or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your truck will be past the plug issue years. Still take your time, it's likely they have been in there sin e day one. I'm a fan of changing all the fluids on a new to me older vehicle, including brake fluid. T case is pretty easy, if the truck has been run in the auto 4wd mode the fluid will show some use from the clutch cycling on and off. Just make sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I'd drain every reservoir and liquid asap including front and rear transfer case.

OP
OP
H

hessell1114

Reaction score
Thanks you for the responses. As for the dvd remotes, does anyone know if there is a way to program the remotes to the DVD player? Or is that done automatically..Just really find it odd that it came with two remotes but neither work.

Thanks again.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A stereo shop might shed some light on your remote control issues.
Before you pull any spark plugs, clean out the area around the plugs. Compressed air works well.. an inspection mirror helps too..
If you drain the coolant,, it's possible to get an air bubble in the motor.. Use a vacuum fill method or pull your thermostat housing and manually fill the block. May as well put a new thermostat in while it's open.
Valvoline makes gear oil in a pouch instead of a bottle. It's way easier to use in tight spaces than a bottle.
Permatex makes an RTV sealant for use with gear oil. If you pull your differential covers, use it to reseal your diff covers.

OP
OP
H

hessell1114

Reaction score
I have been looking around the forums and YouTube to figure out what to do with the transmission. (Flush or drop the pan w/ filter change) If I go the route of dropping the pan what is the OEM filter or best option. I also see that for instance the Wix kit comes with a gasket, but doesn't have the metal plate housed with the gasket like the OEM. Would you stay away from that? Also, saw that the gasket is re-usable, but I am thinking I'd rather just replace. As always any input would be great. I would be lost with out this easy to go to forum!

Thanks!

OP
OP
H

hessell1114

Reaction score
Also, I definitely see alot of people push to go with 5w-30. Would there be any downside to switching to that oil with 137,000 miles on the odometer? I've always used Wix filters for the most part with our Ford Edge (208,000 miles ans counting)..does anyone use Wix?

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Also, I definitely see alot of people push to go with 5w-30. Would there be any downside to switching to that oil with 137,000 miles on the odometer? I've always used Wix filters for the most part with our Ford Edge (208,000 miles ans counting)..does anyone use Wix?

No downside, no risk.

OP
OP
H

hessell1114

Reaction score
I have looked all over and can't seem to find the torque specs foe the oil drain bolt? I know you can just snug it on there, but I am a little worried with it being the first oil change I am doing since we got it.

Also, does anyone know what size wrench is needed for the transmission dipstick?