Ford's inability to paint aluminum properly.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hisurfernmi

Reaction score
~Two years ago I had finally given in and fixed my hood on a 2014 Ford Explorer. Around here in Michigan you see quite a few Explorers with hoods that are bubbling/peeling. My dad had issues for years on a 2014 Mustang. He had the hood repainted 3 times and it never held. I will say my Explorer hood was still good after being repainted for about 16 months before we just sold it.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The proper primer for aluminum is zinc-chromate based, which the EPA attacked years ago. Companies are forced to use sub-standard primers as a result.

The Brute

Reaction score
I had a 2009 Expedition where the paint started to blister on the tailgate. The dealer repaired under warranty despite be a month over the time limit. I also had a 2014 but this time both the hood and tailgate blistered. Ford reluctantly agreed to shoulder some of the cost but wanted to installed new parts. The total cost Cdn$6500. Split 40% Ford, 20% Dealer and 20% myself. Not a “happy camper” to say the least especially when FORD knew about the paint issue going back at least 5 years. I was so “p$%&” at Ford that I bought a 2020 Toyota Sequoia Platinum but disliked it enough to go back to Ford. Now have a 2021 Expedition King Ranch Max. Fingers Crossed.

fothco

Reaction score
My /13 Expee had serious bubbling on rear lift hatch . I did rust prevention to flake off spreading paint bubbles + primer etc . Had my Dealer approach Ford ;No warranty or repait at their dime . Just traded it to Dealer on new 2022 ordered in Jan /22 - arrived in Sept / 22 . No more white Fords fo us !

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My /13 Expee had serious bubbling on rear lift hatch . I did rust prevention to flake off spreading paint bubbles + primer etc . Had my Dealer approach Ford ;No warranty or repait at their dime . Just traded it to Dealer on new 2022 ordered in Jan /22 - arrived in Sept / 22 . No more white Fords fo us !

The paint was just as terrible on my BLACK 2010 Expy. Rear hatch and hood bubbled and peeled and Ford told me to pound sand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986