2016 roof paint failure.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tacoduck

Reaction score
2016 expo. Took it to the dealer and the told me it’s not covered and to pound sand.
1- is this common?
2-is the roof metal or aluminum?
3-cost to paint the whole roof?
4-thinking about using vinyl wrap to protect bare metal and cover up the fact the paint is failing.

Truck has 100k miles and a value of aprox 20k. I’m not interested in dumping a ton of money to fix a roof that I don’t ever look at anyway. Thoughts?

IMG_5452.jpeg

IMG_5453.jpegIMG_5454.jpeg

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think a wrap is a good idea as it will not bond air tight and moisture will get in and do its work. . Apparently white paint on all make of vehicles are failing due to UV and some weak bonding. If it were me, I would nip it in the bud. Buy a few rattle cans of the OEM paint, scuff and smooth the affected areas and respray. Maybe mask the edge of the good paint to have a clean demarcation. My 01 has no paint whatsoever on the roof and fixing it will require rust removal. You don't want to go there.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do it right and have a shop respray it. In my mind, unless the paint is white pearl (can't tell from pics) you are probably talking about $750 - $1000 to prep and paint.

OP
OP
T

tacoduck

Reaction score
Do it right and have a shop respray it. In my mind, unless the paint is white pearl (can't tell from pics) you are probably talking about $750 - $1000 to prep and paint.
It’s pearl white. I’d paint it regular white. Took it to my body shop guy and he said it would be quite expensive due to all the masking, removing the roof rack, etc. I did the rattle can spray and pray and it didn’t really hold up. I didn’t do much in the way of prep. I’m also kicking around using Plasti dip in white and moving on down the road.