Frame Replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, idk yet but i might need to do a frame replacement after and accident in my 2000 xlt 4x2. Unsure yet. Damn allstate aha.

Anyways, are there any complications with replacing a frame. what are the main isseus with doing this. How good will everything go back togeather? Thanks in advance.

[/ATTACH]

2000 4x2 xlt 4.6L

Attachments

• expo.jpg
    expo.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 392
  • 154124_132435373479558_100001392870439_197144_6631084_nged.jpg
    154124_132435373479558_100001392870439_197144_6631084_nged.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 190

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, idk yet but i might need to do a frame replacement after and accident in my 2000 xlt 4x2. Unsure yet. Damn allstate aha.

Anyways, are there any complications with replacing a frame. what are the main isseus with doing this. How good will everything go back togeather? Thanks in advance.

[/ATTACH]

2000 4x2 xlt 4.6L

Let them total it bud, a frame can be fixed, it still may never ride right again though. A frame should never be reheated either, it will weaken the frame and possibly not hold up if your ever in another accident. You would be better off either finding another X with a blown motor and swap yours into it, if you were to buy it back from your insurance company, which is a good bit of work, or let them total it out and find another truck. Just my opinion my friend.

OP
OP
DR3W

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah thanks, the first shop i had it at. They sent it to a frame shop who heated it, probably glowing red! Idk why. But could be a big legal battle. Depends if they respond to our demand letter to fix it. A good friend of mine at a colision center said it could be fixed. But idk what were gunna do yet :/ Thanks for your input.

I wana keep it cuz i grew up in it. My om got it brand new when i was like 6 years old. And now im driving & its been handed down to me. So yeah, and i dont wana really total it either. But thank you.

Just cant trust anyone these days i guess. Both the allstate, the car shop, and the frame shop they sent it to all f@#ked me over!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Changing out a frame is a big job. The main issues are getting everything disconnected between the frame and body. There are tons of hoses and wires.

The biggest thing that would kill me when doing the job is the "may as well's" that come up. Easy access to the motor makes it a perfect time for a motor swap. Then I'd be too tempted to weld in a custom suspension.... the project would just snowball.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changing out a frame is a big job. The main issues are getting everything disconnected between the frame and body. There are tons of hoses and wires.

The biggest thing that would kill me when doing the job is the "may as well's" that come up. Easy access to the motor makes it a perfect time for a motor swap. Then I'd be too tempted to weld in a custom suspension.... the project would just snowball.

Same here, my 87 foxbody has pretty much went that way, money pit, but I do love the car, oh well, you only live once.

Be careful with your truck bud, its hard to tell what type of structural damage may have been done with the shop heating the frame up. Good luck either way.

Yoop33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A frame replacement??? I didnt even know that existed let alone someone actually wanting to do it. Dump the memory (or keep it in the garage) and get a new truck.

OP
OP
DR3W

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats what i've been saying. Frame is probably fixable. Kinda. But allstate said frame its ruined. In writing. So i dont want to hold my buds company accountable in case anything happeds. Idk yet, its all up in the air.

P.S. aha watch out for big rocks in the road, they can look like plastic bags. Or so my mom said! (p.s. She did this to my X, not me ahaha) Oh well, everyones safe :)

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well. my dad decided to go to a chargers game with my mom aunt and uncle in what was my moms x at the time. he decided he didnt like the right fender tire rim bumper or the hood. and rammed right into a tahoe! haha ford vs chevy. who ended up winning. well MY x had to be towed away. bumper went into tire so no drive able. air bags didnt go off not totaled... dont think there are air bags. the hoe was drive able but the entire left side from the fender to the quarter panel was dented in. he couldnt open his doors. he had to climb out the passenger side door. it was his fault by the way. he turned into my dads lane to avoid hits his friend.

i said that story to say this. my x pulls to the right. BAD. alignment tire, reweighed, nothing. i told navy this story and the problem and he suspects frame damage. and i agree. and i guess ford didnt see that.

but anyways i would just get a new x. i know there memorys as there is in mine but is safety worth it? no. find a nice used x. and even step it up. and make the shop pay for part of it since now you cant get the a lot of money out of your x cause they damaged the frame even more.

anjy834u

Reaction score
more than fitting the frame, the important thing is u should allign it well. fixing a frame doesn't take much of u but proper alligning does.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would have to agree on the getting a new expy. it sux giving up a vehicle that you have had a long time but trust me, you will get over it. i got rid of the white one in my sig but i am much happier with the one i have now, especially after i got the lift and everything on.