front diff problem...acts like 4wd is engaged while turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jshreve

Reaction score
Exactly what the title says 03 model 5.4 in 2wd will act like its in 4wd while turning it vibrates. Then goes away...not every time just every now an then 4high an 4low will flash a couple times every now. An then....any idea's what to look for

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look into the IWE solenoid. Basically it controls the vacuum at the hubs. If no vacuum, the hubs engage and will feel like being in 4x4 despite no drive from the front driveshaft.

OP
OP
J

jshreve

Reaction score
So I watched the video ..so there's no actual actuator its all part of the hub assembly and vaccine operated. Right?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IWE relay is mounted on the firewall near the battery. It has an electrical connection and a vacuum connection. The electrical connection tells when to pass vacuum to the hubs and when not to pass it. This relay frequently fails because water gets into causing the water to get into the hubs like he showed on the video.

In the first minute or so of the video he talks about how the system works and how to check it. What it a couple of times and you'll get it. It is really easy to understand.

jdecker

Reaction score
Here is everything you could ever want to know about the IWE: http://www.warn.com/powertrain/images/611/IWE 2006.PDF

And as Andy pointed out the vacuum control solenoid that controls them is mounted on the firewall behind the battery.

However, do to the fact that your 4wd lights are flashing I suspect you'll find your problems are deeper than a IWE/vacuum problem. My guess and the easiest/cheapest fix would be the speed sensors, but you really need to find someone who can do a scan of the 4wd control module and see what codes you find.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would just change it... All it takes is some cra* to get into it to make it unreliable.

There are those who check it and say it is fine, but issues still persist until they totally replace it...
:head3: