Front DS - Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ecaps

Reaction score
All,

I went to remove the front DS so I could replace (or eliminate suspect part) due to bad shake/vibration in steering wheel. The front u-joints appears to be original so they need replaced either way.

Question is how do you removed the 4 screws hold the plate on? I put used a 12pt 12mm socket, but couldn't get them to budge. I put some PB-Blaster on an let it soak overnight, as it was late when I was finishing up.

1. Do I need to lock the driveshaft someway or can I put it 4WD-LOW to accomplish that. (Fear was hurting gears in xfer-case)

2. Also, is there a way to access the top bolts by rotating the shaft? I'm not used to the "electronic selector." All my other rigs, had a mechanical shifter that I could put in neutral.

*Edit - 99 Expy no 2WD selector.

Thanks.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
You can use a pipe wrench to hold the driveshaft, but you need to place it at either end of the shaft right where the welds are. If you put it in the center, you can dent it and/or put it out of balance.

Remember to put marks on the driveshaft and the flanges so that it lines up the same way when you put it back together.

Although I've always been a PB Blaster fan, I know a bunch of people who have had good luck with the new line of WD40 professional products. You may want to check them out.

hortonguy

Reaction score
those bolts have locktight on them from the factory a little heat and a half inch impact and they come out with just your hand holding the shaft.