Front end dips on stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph3

Reaction score
I just bought a 2000 EB 5.4, 150k mi. It had new brakes done recently and new shocks (Monroes) put on. It stops great but at the very end of the stop, the front end does a little nosedive - once - and then stops. It's not dramatic but you can definitely feel it. Now, I would normally suspect the front shocks, and Monroe is not a premium shock (cheap), but what else could it be? Worn springs? It seems to ride fine, a little less truck-like than my F-250, but still handles like a truck. The only other thing I can think of is tires - they're new but low-cost too - they are P265/70-17 so they are "passenger" tires. If it was me I would put LT tires on the Expy because I need to tow and I plan to do a bit of four-wheeling, the LT tires with a higher ply rating and A/T tread would suit my driving style better.
any ideas on the dipping front end?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the exact same vehicle. Tires will not not cause a front end dive. Worn or undersprung/too weak a shock, is most likely your culprit. The other thing is your front torsion bars are adjusted too soft. You need an alignment or repair shops that know how to properly adjust them. I'd start with the shocks first. Kyb, or rancho 5000 are 2 of my faves!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Joseph3

Reaction score
Thanks, yes I prefer KYB myself. I've always been happy with them. I think its replace the crummy shocks and then have the torsion bar adjustment.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's the logical step! Have you had alignment checked? It won't affect ride quality, but at least they can check your caster adjustment, that will tell you if the adjustment of torsion bars are correct. Most likely are, your tire wouldn't be centered in wheel well if it was off. The early first editions have a little bumpier ride due to solid truck style rear axle. 2nd and 3rd editions have a floating ride due to independent suspension. I hear the early ones are better off road. I live just outside of San Fran, mine will never see 4 wheel drive, unless we get a freak snow storm. Let us know how shocks turn out, as we give recommendations to others.

OP
OP
J

Joseph3

Reaction score
That's funny, I bought my Expy in San Jose (but I live near Sacramento). It's rarely seen 4 wheel drive either. I think I'll check into new shocks and report back. Thanks for suggestions. I am still learning about Expeditions but have a lot of familiarity with Broncos (5.0, 5.8) and my 92 F-250 (7.5). My odometer on the Expedition was dark when I got the truck, but ever since it's worked (lit up). Maybe that's a good sign. Or Ii hit just the right bump in the road.
Oh yeah, the tires are fairly new but wear looks very even so far. Can't detect any pull in the wheel. Alignment feels good. Drives very straight. I secretly want to put better tires on anyway but it's not a priority.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does same with odometer, you need to pull speedo cluster, and either send it to one of the sources that re solders the circuit board, or you can do it yourself. We have guys here that can help with that if you choose to do yourself. Midas does a free alignment check, with a print out. If its just toe adjustment that's out a little, you can actually adjust yourself to correct. I'm frugal that's what I did. My left side was toed out a little out from spec, so jacked it, turned adjuster sleeve a turn and a half, and saved $89.99 to turn one turn buckle. Mine steers perfect, I'll wait about a month or two go back, and let them do another free check. Bet its spot on now!

OP
OP
J

Joseph3

Reaction score
Thanks for the Midas tip, I think I'll have the alignment checked. As for the dipping front end I am sure a set of kybs will fix that. I've never been a big fan of Monroe shocks but they sure make a lot of different shocks, from ridiculously cheap to very expensive. Maybe they make some good ones but I've always beeen happy with KYB, going back to my high school/Austin Healey days. Definitely the shocks that are now on my Expy are not up to par. Other than a dripping rear differential, it's the only thing I've found so far to be a problem on my 2000 EB. Oh and the odometer thing. It's worked since I got it, but the first time I drove it it didn't light up. I understand about the cold solder joint and have experience, so maybe I'll tackle that when it goes out again.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My brother in law had an Austin Healy 3000, what a cool car. I especially like the toggle switch to engage 5th gear/overdrive. I still remember asking him with no working speedo, how did he know how fast he was going? His response was he took rpm from tach, and doubled it! 3,000 rpm = 60 mph. Crude but it worked.