fuel filler loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoop

Reaction score
Hello all. My 2008 EL has a problem. The bracket that holds the fuel filler looks like it was spot-welded onto the inside of the fender. All the welds let go, and the bracket has come loose from the fender and flops around. I called a mechanic friend, and he said it's probably ok to drive for a while, but I should get it fixed. He suggested a couple of sheet metal screws instead of having it re-welded. I think it is still under warranty, and plan to take it back to the dealer this Friday. I don't think welding would be a good idea because they would have to find some way to make sure there were no gas fumes for one thing, and for another thing they could screw up the paint. I don't know where they could attach sheet metal screws either. JB-Weld?

Any advice?

Thanks

davesexplorer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all. My 2008 EL has a problem. The bracket that holds the fuel filler looks like it was spot-welded onto the inside of the fender. All the welds let go, and the bracket has come loose from the fender and flops around. I called a mechanic friend, and he said it's probably ok to drive for a while, but I should get it fixed. He suggested a couple of sheet metal screws instead of having it re-welded. I think it is still under warranty, and plan to take it back to the dealer this Friday. I don't think welding would be a good idea because they would have to find some way to make sure there were no gas fumes for one thing, and for another thing they could screw up the paint. I don't know where they could attach sheet metal screws either. JB-Weld?

Any advice?

Thanks

If you still have warranty I would let them cover that, at least they should do it right.

cardude427

Reaction score
If you still have warranty I would let them cover that, at least they should do it right.

But when you take it in make sure they do it right. I've been screwed over before by stealerships especially by this one particular one that charged me for a new transmission but put in a refurbished transmission(found out to late to do anything about it).