Fuel gauge not working right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mh68

Reaction score
I replaced the shift indicator today on my 2004 Expy so I had the gauge cluster out. While it was out, I took the clear, plastic front off of the cluster to clean all the dust out and off of the gauges. I was careful when I had to move the needles to wipe around them. I put everything back together and now the fuel gauge only shows 1/8 of a tank when I have 3/4 of a tank. Even the message center is saying low fuel. It's the only gauge not working right, the others are ok. Did I screw up the gauge? Anyone have a fix? Thanks.

Mike

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the multi-pin connector go on straight when reconnecting? or Maybe one wire from the harness backed itself out of the connector when going back together.

OP
OP
M

mh68

Reaction score
Did the multi-pin connector go on straight when reconnecting? or Maybe one wire from the harness backed itself out of the connector when going back together.

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes everything went back together right. When I drove it to work the next morning it slowly rose up and it's been fine ever since, weird.