Fuel Pump Died Over Wekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sucks big time. Went driving around here and there, got home. Then later went to move it into the street when it wouldnt go under power. I could hear the engine running very quietly then it would stall out. It would start every time and run barely, like 200rpm's but giving it gas nothing would happen.

Looked under hood for one of those big fuse boxes, but couldnt find one.
Got out the book in glove box and found the number for fuel pump fuse, then it said not owner serviceable or something like that.

I couldnt hear the pump come on with the key like I usually do so I figured it was the pump, fuse or relay.
It is 2003, but only 43,000 miles on it, but I guess its one of those things time or age it will go bad.

I have read on google seems like this may be a common problem, at least in the search I did.

So I was under a time limit to get it into the dealership on sat. So I went to this site but it was gone, didnt exist.
Towed it there and waited for the results.
They called me and said no psi to the pump. Almost $1000 to fix. 3 day wait for the part to come in.

For me thats fine, as long as that will fix it, I dont want them to play lets guess whats wrong.

I have about 25 gallons of fuel in the tank, and its not something I can do myself anyways with small jack stands, plus putting the fuel somewhere.
I did take a pic of my fuel level and mileage before I towed it in, I dont want any fuel missing when I get it back

IMG00110-20110709-1257.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDktMjAxMTA3MDktMTIyOS5qcGc.jpg

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that resolves your issue. I would have said the fuel driver module, but that's only really an issue with the 05+ Expeditions.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wondering, do you wait until your gas light comes on before you fill up? Not sure if know, but the gas in your tank cools your fuel pump and when you drive with low gas the fuel pump doesn't get cooled well and wears out prematurely.

OP
OP
M

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wondering, do you wait until your gas light comes on before you fill up? Not sure if know, but the gas in your tank cools your fuel pump and when you drive with low gas the fuel pump doesn't get cooled well and wears out prematurely.

I think only once that happened years ago
as you can see I never drive it so that tank is always full I make sure of that

got it back today
I see they also charged me for a new fuel filter, wish they would of asked because I changed mine years ago probably did not need a new one for what it cost me to have them do it
I would of done it myself if it really needed it