Fuel Pump dilemma...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malmond

Reaction score
First off, I hope I put this thread in the right place. If not, please feel free to move it mod.
Last week, my wife was driving our truck (2006 EB) when it died. She tried to restart which it did but it would die after a few seconds. Soon after it wouldn't start at all. I'm sure she killed the battery (original battery mind you)
Anyway, the tow truck shows up. By now, I've shown up at the scene and my wife took my car with our kids. When the tow truck driver shows up, he suggests we jump the car just to see if it'll start. He hooks up the cables and it starts strongly, but won't turn over. Immediately he says "It's not your battery bro. It's your fuel pump"
I respond by stating that just a few weeks ago I had the same problem with my Deville. The battery was SOOO dead, a jump did nothing. I replaced the battery and it worked like a charm. He says this is different (which I disagreed with but whatever)

Long story short, I order the fuel pump, fuel filter (for good measure) and a new battery. While I'm waiting for the fuel pump to arrive, I replace the battery. I start the car just for grins...it starts immediately!! really strong too!! I drive it around the block, let it idle for a while. Re start it a few more times later. Same result! it starts right up!!

Soooo....is there a way to test the pump? I mean, I don't wanna go tearing in there if I don't have to? I have the new pump already but would rather not drop the tank if not necessary (yet)
Any advice in testing the fuel pump?
Thanks so much and sorry for the lengthy post. Much obliged.

malmond

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Maybe it could be clogged.

Or, maybe it was just the battery.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
test you fuel pressure and the schrader valve on the fuel rail... you will need to rent or buy a gauge to do so... harbor freight has a fuel injection pressure tester for $20 let us know how much pressure you have with key on engine off and with engine idleing

OP
OP
M

malmond

Reaction score
Got the fuel pressure gauge tester...also have a dumb question.
Where is the fuel system test port (schrader valve) in a 2006 Expedition?
Can't find it...I ordered the service manual but would rather not wait if someone could kindly point it out.
Thanks guys.

malmond

P.S. - I should note that yesterday I went ahead and changed the fuel filter (much easier to change than the pump) while I was waiting for some info on the location of the schrader valve to test the fuel pressure.
The fuel filter's inlet let out what I can only describe as chocolate syrup. It was disgusting. I poured it into a plastic container so I could look at it...it was sludgy and "sedimenty" if that's even a word. You know what I mean.
Anyway, replaced it with a new filter plus the new Duralast Gold battery and she's purring like a kitten. Test drove it and even went on a short trip. Ship shape. I'm still gonna test for the fuel pressure but I'm beginning to think it could have been a clogged fuel filter.

Last edited:

DrAnonymous

Reaction score
I have a similar issue. I had stalling problems when stopping at stop lights. The car would sometimes die. I changed the fuel filter and added some injector cleaner. 3 months later the issue started up again.

I use alldatadiy.com for auto info. It gave docs for measuring voltages of the sensors. I don't see any place to connect a mechanical pressure gauge. Is there a port somewhere?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not related to your question. but my buddys f150 wouldnt start after driving around and the engine was hot. he thought it was the fuel pump. well long story short he changed his battery. no more problems. weird.