Fuel pump going bad :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all! I know it's been a long ass time since i've posted on here, but i know i can always come back when i'm looking for some help!

My check engine light came on a few days ago and i took it to auto zone to have them do a code check. The guy seemed like he knew my year of expo and said that the code read that i was running to lean on my fuel mix. He said that its my fuel pump going bad.

I wanted to ask on here, if there was anyone that as attempted to do this repair themselves and how hard/easy it might be? I know that i have to take the gas tank off but thats about it. Hopefully someone out there can help me out! Happy new year all and it's good to be back!:cheers:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Tell me what the code was
when was the last gas filter put in
lean codes often are seen when air is getting in after the mass air flow sensor, like a vacuume leak

OP
OP

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
alright guys, i went in and the guy at autozone gave me these codes.

p0171 and p0174

he said the system was running to lean? any of you out there had this issue before? I'm probably going to start with the fuel filter cause its so cheap.

expy916

Reaction score
A bad fuel pump wont cause ther to be a lean code, as stated earlier, it is most likely a leak. As for changing the pump, it is very easy. You will need a jack, jack stands or ramps, and a piece of ply wood. Take off the fuel cap, support the tank with the jack and wood and then take off the straps and lower the tank SLOWLY. As you lower it, you will be able to disconnect the lines and the electrical connection. Once everything is disconnected, just lower the tank all the way. To actually remove the pump from the tank you need to turn the big plastic ring that holds it in place, and then it just comes out.
Tips:
Do it when the tank is near empty
Make sure you have everything: disconnect tools, pump, strained, etc.
Mark the position of the plastic ring
Turn off air suspension if equipped
Change the filter while you have the car up.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Check this first find the PCV valve (passenger side valve cover)
follow the plastic hose all the way back to the thotel body
looking for cracksin the line . replace if nessary ..Larry