Fuel pump noise after start up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exceldetail

Reaction score
200 Expedition, 5.4l, 2WD:
Occasionaly, after startup, and during running, I get what sounds like an electrical pump going on. It sounds off for about 6-10 seconds, and you can actyuall feel it in the floorboard on your feet. Could this be the fuel pump in the gas tank? Could it also be a sign that the fuel filters is starved and the pump is pumping to make up for lack of pressure? On a side note, while sitting at a stop light the other day, the idle was starting to get rough on me. When the light changed to green, I acclerated, and it felt like I was on 5 cylinders! It was brief in length, and cleared as I went around the corner, but scared the crap out of me......any ideas?

Oh, Im new to the forum, as Im a new (used) owner.....Also, any detailing Q's can be directed at me! I may be providing sponsorship here at the forum!

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles are on the truck? the fuel filter?

I would start with replacing that inexpensive part prior to doing anything else.

-----

Detailing Q...

What is the best way to hide/remove rock dings on the painted from bumper cover?

Last time the detailing guy waxed the truck it came back looking like a teenager with whiteheads all over his face.

I put the front end cover (bra) on it so that I wouldn't have to look at it...

OP
OP
E

exceldetail

Reaction score
Actually its a 2000 Expy, not a 200.....It has 96000k on it. Runs great and like yourself, I fig'd it would be a good place to start. I'll have to post a pic!

As for your detailing question, well, the best way is to fix the chips. Are you referring to the top color matched portion or lower plastic area?
Not much you can do with plastic though, but the upper area will accept touch up paint. The person who obviously detailed it didnt bother to wipe the polish/wax out of the chips.......

geeserteg

Reaction score
Your pump could be slowly going south on you. As monsta stated, hit all the inexpensive maintenece first.

edit... Do you have LLS on yours?

marc0834

Reaction score
I can hear the same thing on my 02 EB expy. The noise comes out like a grrrr noise from the a/c , but i can feel it from the floor. I just bought mine a month ago. engine runs good but the noise comes out once in a while.i can hear it in seconds and goes out. any ideas?

ranzy

Reaction score
This is not the fuel pump. It is your air compressor for the rear suspension air bags. It is just leveling the truck. Mine does is most times I start my truck and when I am stopped at a redlight on uneven surface. If you look in your side mirror as you hear it you might even see the angle of your view change as it lifts the rear of you truck.