fuel pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good day, I was looking for a replacement fuel pump for my 2000 expy 4.6 . What I would want to ask is if all expys use the same type of fuel pump? Do I have to replace the whole assembly or just the pump? And how hard would it be to repace it? Thank you very much.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It drops in the tank from the top, the pump and sending unit are all one assembly, fairly cheap at RockAuto which is a forum vendor so you can get a discount. You need to either drop the tank orrrr- I have seen people lift the carpet and cut a hole in the floor and go in that way (although I dont recommend that)

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If your fuel gauge is operating ok its not necessary to replace the entire assembly. It is not difficult to replace the pump alone once you have gone through the trouble to remove the assembly.

Your choice but the pump alone should be less expensive.

The pumps vary by year. Just input your specific info to purchase correct one.

There are many different brands available though. You may want to research reviews or feedback on the various models before you purchase.

Lifesavr65

Reaction score
Just changed mine last month. Went with OEM. Wasn't too impressed with Rockauto sales guy who kept insisting on Airtex pump. Not too hard to do, just take your time....

OP
OP
D

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally had the fuel pump replaced. Took the mechanic 3 hours to do replaced only the pump sending unit is ok. It was a difficult job lowered the tank hammered the lock replaced the pump -it was only small just larger than a D cell battery. Changed the hose, reused one clamp then used cable tie for the other end. Afterwards it started but with a misfire. They checked pcv hose and cleaned it. Started again and it ran fine afterwards. They noticed that the filter of the old pump disintegrated and was sucked by the old pump so the fuel filter was changed as well.

To sum it up, previous episodes of engine misfire and stalling might be due to impending fuel pump shutdown. It just so happened that the pcv hose was also dirty. Thank you all for your posts!